Test drove a MS3

SVgamer72

:
2011 Mazda3 HB sSport
Sunday on my way back from a trip to Knott's I popped into Galpin Mazda in Santa Clarita, Ca. I drove an 08.5 Speed3 GT, and I found myself less than impressed with the performance.

I have read over and over again how much of a beast the MS3 is, but it sure didn't feel like it to me. It had great power, pulling hard and smooth, but didn't come across as "eye popping". I hammered it pretty good in 2nd and 3rd but never got the tires to break loose. Even if it had come across as a "beast", I was really turned off by the FWD after being spoiled driving my '07 MX-5.

After I left the dealership I realized that I drove with DSC/Traction on. (bang)(bang) So now I am thinking that I screwed up and came away with the wrong impression. Should I drive back down (It's a 90min drive) and drive it again with DSC/Traction off?

I am going to hit the local Subaru dealer this evening and drive a WRX and STI as a comparison before making up my mind.

The MS3 does reduce the turbo power in the first three gears to reduce torque steer.
You should also test drive the EvoX that thing is a beast.

The MS3 is a fickle SOB. Maybe you drove it when it was in a bad mood. Some days mine feels much faster than others. Seen other members post about this as well.

I wouldn't be suprised if the dealer put 87 octane in for gas and the ECU is limiting the performance....

couldnt get the tires to break loose?? i find that hard to believe.

go ahead and drive a new STI and an EVO X im sure you will be VERY impressed, i was! and with a 34,999 and 32,999 starting price tag im sure you'll also be impressed with how light your wallet feels.

As far as some days the car feeling sluggish..

I've noticed this several times and thought it was just me..but if people are talking about it...Hmmm, interesting

Turning off the traction control will surely let you start spinning. I had to turn it off in the snow this past winter or i would have never of gotten un-stuck

Call me Canadian but 10k price difference is a lot but I don't think it's outrageous. STI and EvoX in Canada go for 50k after options/tax.

I like the 87 octane theory, you never know what they put in it. Before you make any decisions I would test drive one from another dealer and see what you think.

I rode in an MS3 with a CAI and it was freakin fast. An evo or STi might be faster from a dig, but from a roll, I don't think they would murder an MS3. It would be a drivers race. It did not feel slow at all and certainly much faster than a WRX. I don't know if it was as visceral as an Sti I had an opportunity to ride in a few years ago. that thing was a complete animal.

Alas, this is an example of why I prefer NA to FI. I like consistent reliable power. I don't want to deal with vacuum leaks, turbo lag, limited boost etc.

I just want smooth, linear, repeatable power and thats why I'm always a tad skeptical of turbo cars.

I'll tell you what though, riding in the MS3 was a real thrill and I was throughly impressed.

with the dsc off, the wheels spin much more and gives you much more a drivers feel as opposed to having a computer assist my driving.

"yes computer, i meant to turn me wheel erratically like that"

I rode in an MS3 with a CAI and it was freakin fast. An evo or STi might be faster from a dig, but from a roll, I don't think they would murder an MS3. It would be a drivers race. It did not feel slow at all and certainly much faster than a WRX. I don't know if it was as visceral as an Sti I had an opportunity to ride in a few years ago. that thing was a complete animal.

Alas, this is an example of why I prefer NA to FI. I like consistent reliable power. I don't want to deal with vacuum leaks, turbo lag, limited boost etc.

I just want smooth, linear, repeatable power and thats why I'm always a tad skeptical of turbo cars.

I'll tell you what though, riding in the MS3 was a real thrill and I was throughly impressed.

Eh... I don't know about you gut theirs days that my f150(very rare) and P5 feel faster then others.

Sunday on my way back from a trip to Knott's I popped into Galpin Mazda in Santa Clarita, Ca. I drove an 08.5 Speed3 GT, and I found myself less than impressed with the performance.

I have read over and over again how much of a beast the MS3 is, but it sure didn't feel like it to me. It had great power, pulling hard and smooth, but didn't come across as "eye popping". I hammered it pretty good in 2nd and 3rd but never got the tires to break loose. Even if it had come across as a "beast", I was really turned off by the FWD after being spoiled driving my '07 MX-5.

After I left the dealership I realized that I drove with DSC/Traction on. (bang)(bang) So now I am thinking that I screwed up and came away with the wrong impression. Should I drive back down (It's a 90min drive) and drive it again with DSC/Traction off?

I am going to hit the local Subaru dealer this evening and drive a WRX and STI as a comparison before making up my mind.

**** galpin. the finance manager there is a dick. if it's the same guy, he's bald and cocky. if you don't think this car is a beast from a roll, you probably wont thing any car anywhere near this price range is a beast from a roll. hehe. it was probably hot as s*** and just didn't wanna perform for you or something. give it another shot with another mazdaspeed3. try it at night so it's a little cooler. :)

It probably doesn't affect you, but anythinhg made before Nov. 07 may have lean fuel probs and start to feel sluggish. They sent out a bulletin offering a reflash. Somehow i missed this.

do you have a website that lists the VIN numbers affected. I've got an 07

Sometime this car is a beast and other times it just doesn't have it. The only thing I can think of that changes is the temperature and not so much the temp outside but the temp that the intercooler is at.

I bet that thing gets really heat soaked being top mounted. I've looked into ways of cooling it, but none of them are very efficient. The only other option I've thought of would be alco/meth injection, but that is guaranteed to void my warrantee and thats not what I want to do right now.

Gmac

Back