Test drove a 6-speed 2002 Miata today...

Heres a list of cars i looked @ that were in my range when i picked up my p5,
2 years ago. 03 P5, 03 Civic, 03 Lancer, 03 Tiburon, 03 Matrix, 03 Celica base, 03 Sentra SER but they had no more and they had the 04 which are ugly as hell i hate that new front end. BTW the Tiburon is a fun lil car it really is very nice outside look, but the inside could use some work as its very very bland. Looking back now i really wish i grabbed a Celica or a Tiburon i kinda am getting tired of the 5 door look even though our cars are sporty enough to pull it off well.

BTW if i ever found rust on my car anytime soon i would SO be @ the dealer making a scene becuase thats just not acceptable on a 3 year old car.

xxmikkoxx said:
if i ever found rust on my car anytime soon i would SO be @ the dealer making a scene becuase thats just not acceptable on a 3 year old car.

same here mike.......

xxmikkoxx said:
Heres a list of cars i looked @ that were in my range when i picked up my p5,
2 years ago. 03 P5, 03 Civic, 03 Lancer, 03 Tiburon, 03 Matrix, 03 Celica base, 03 Sentra SER but they had no more and they had the 04 which are ugly as hell i hate that new front end. BTW the Tiburon is a fun lil car it really is very nice outside look, but the inside could use some work as its very very bland. Looking back now i really wish i grabbed a Celica or a Tiburon i kinda am getting tired of the 5 door look even though our cars are sporty enough to pull it off well.

BTW if i ever found rust on my car anytime soon i would SO be @ the dealer making a scene becuase thats just not acceptable on a 3 year old car.

For 04 Hyundai added some nice brushed aluminum look plastic trim around the head unit and climate control, around the window adjustment switches, etc. The interior is definitely fairly plain though.

Last edited:
SpicyMchaggis said:
little chris, you have lost your god damn mind.

I lost that years ago, the pills keep me normal :p

Anyways.. how so?

As an update, I talked to the service manager today and he came out and confirmed that it was rust (duh) and said he would call the regional service rep and call me back within a couple days. He sounded optimistic, and gave me a lot of complements about the car. I explained to him how much I loved the car and that I would love to keep it for a couple more years.

I just wouldn't be happy with any other car (aside from a 95 RX-7, 93 MR2 Turbo, Mazdaspeed Protege, Mazdaspeed Miata, a Supra turbo, or any other exotic car). I love the way my car drives, no one believes in it until they drive it themselves.

And for the other cars in the Protege's class:
Nissan Sentra (SE-R Spec-V): AWEFUL. Has a wonderful engine, but in my opinion that's it. Crappy styling, crappy suspension design. It's the worst car currently made with the Nissan Badge on it, it sorely needs an update.

Honda Civic: No.. no way will I ever drive those bland soft suspension boring-mobiles.

Ford Focus: ha.. hahaha NO

Dodge Neon: see above, add a couple extra "ha"s for emphasis

Mitsubishi Lancer: Gross

Toyota Matrix: AWEFUL body styling, hideous interior, looks like a minivan, tall piece of crap.

Pontiac Vibe: it's the same as the Toyota Matrix but with the badge that brings the worst resale value ever.

Toyota Corolla: I'd actually consider the model that they tossed a Celica GTS engine in, but I really don't like the body styling, especially the kit they put on the Corolla S

Suzuki Aerio: Why do I even put this on the list, it's not like I'd ever consider it.

Hyundai Elantra GT hatch: The shape of the hatch isn't bad at all, but I hate the mid-model styling update on the 04 models. Old-school interior, bad handling, questionable reliability (though that Hyundai 2.0 vvt Beta engine seems bulletproof and quite boostable). I don't know if I can take Hyundai seriously yet.

Kia Spectra5: It has grown on me. I sat in one and played around with it in a showroom, and it's nothing special. Should be peppier than the P5, but the interior is definitely a downgrade from my rattlebox P5 interior.

Yeah.. I really hope my car gets fixed, I don't think I could buy something that isn't another Mazda.

zverg said:
I have paint bubbling off behind the back wheel on the passenger side, rust seeping out of the seam between the car and the back bumper, rust starting t hat looks like surface rust where the side skirt ends in the back. It sucks, and the service manager wasn't in again today so I still don't know if they'll fix it.

Car has 50100 miles on it as it sits in my driveway right now.

that sucks....i guess i would be pissed.
will have to check it out sunday!

-R

Back