Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Well, now that I think about it, and the fact the BRZ is brought into the mix and can be considered somewhat of a competitor, then yes, Miata all day...

Which is fine, but just...why Can't Mazda get it ALL right, at the same time? Like they did with the new Miata. Now THAT they did right. Everything is good about it. Sure there may be a quirk here and there, but it's priced right, optioned right, now has power and handling togather, and man...they just NAILED that. Why does the CX5 have to be a slide-rule deal where "Weellll...we gave you thissss, so we had to make it bad in thattt area...."

So there you go, unob. Your "get it all right" car isn't "all right" for plenty of people. Like all cars. Like everything.

Back to the CX5, I think the GT reserve is a good value, should match most features from the competition and more, drives well and faster than everything in its class. I'm willing to trade power for MPG too.

Only wish Mazda put better and slightly wider tires on, oh and thicker paint too.

Hiley Mazda is closest to me. Seems like a nice dealer here in DFW. Most Mazda dealers I have been to were nice, incompetent but nice overall.

Velocity out in Tyler is a very nice and _competent_ dealership, IMHO. Craig went out of his way to take care of me.

Wider tires is an easy fix ;). That is something I did on our Cx9 as I couldn't stand how thin they looked from the rear.....and also getting a wheel with a better offset to push them out a little helps if looking for a package deal.

Now, onto the Cx5. We are interested in getting a Signature Cx5. I just got a call from our dealership that they finally have them in stock. I went last weekend to check out the Cx5, and it is very nice. They didn't have the 2.5 T at that point in stock, so I drove a Cx9 with the 2.5T. It probably had base 87 fuel, so I wasn't getting the full potential, but still I wasn't overly impressed. I thought the T would have some more kick to it. I think our 2011 Cx9 had more power and better power band than the 2019 cx9 with the 2.5T.

Now, the cx5 is a bit smaller than the cx9, so I am going to head to the dealership again this weekend and drive one with the 2.5T and see how it goes. I really think the price is right on the Sig, as you get just about every option needed, including a sensor in the front bumper for tight garage parking!

Anyone else go from the v6 Cx9 to the 2.5T Cx9 or Cx5 yet, and feel that the v6 felt better?

Back to the CX5, I think the GT reserve is a good value, should match most features from the competition and more, drives well and faster than everything in its class. I'm willing to trade power for MPG too.

Only wish Mazda put better and slightly wider tires on, oh and thicker paint too.

I agree the Reserve is great value, but faster than everything in its class? That*s YTD, as preliminary reports say that it isn*t, but I have a feeling it may be by the time all is said and done. A huge improvement, regardless, and definitely worth the trade off in MPG...

Wider tires is an easy fix ;). That is something I did on our Cx9 as I couldn't stand how thin they looked from the rear.....and also getting a wheel with a better offset to push them out a little helps if looking for a package deal.

Now, onto the Cx5. We are interested in getting a Signature Cx5. I just got a call from our dealership that they finally have them in stock. I went last weekend to check out the Cx5, and it is very nice. They didn't have the 2.5 T at that point in stock, so I drove a Cx9 with the 2.5T. It probably had base 87 fuel, so I wasn't getting the full potential, but still I wasn't overly impressed. I thought the T would have some more kick to it. I think our 2011 Cx9 had more power and better power band than the 2019 cx9 with the 2.5T.

Now, the cx5 is a bit smaller than the cx9, so I am going to head to the dealership again this weekend and drive one with the 2.5T and see how it goes. I really think the price is right on the Sig, as you get just about every option needed, including a sensor in the front bumper for tight garage parking!

Anyone else go from the v6 Cx9 to the 2.5T Cx9 or Cx5 yet, and feel that the v6 felt better?

I had a '11 CX-9 GT with the 3.7 liter V6 and always felt that it was slow off the line and lacked passing power ... most likely due to the throttle and transmission programming.
To get the performance I wanted; I often "gave it plenty of gas" and my fuel economy figures reflected my impatience.

By comparison, at light throttle my '16 CX-9 GT with the 2.5 turbo felt faster off the line and had ample passing power when pushed.
I currently have the '17 CX-5 in my signature.
I recently test drove a '19 GT Reserve with the 2.5 turbo and was impressed with its smooth and ample power delivery.
My dealership received its first 2 Signatures this morning while I was having my Miata serviced ... unfortunately NOT my SRC that is still awaiting port processing in San Diego. (shrug)

The difference in using 87 vs 91-93 isn't really noticeable unless you're trying to pass/overtake someone on a freeway or at higher speeds. The powerband in the CX-5 should be better just from the 530+ lb difference in curb weight. Also, engaging the Sport mode on my CX-9 holds the gears a little longer, making it much more responsive when I accelerate. Make sure you give Sport mode a try on the CX-5 as well.

Last edited:
The difference in using 87 vs 91-93 isn't really noticeable unless you're trying to pass/overtake someone on a freeway or at higher speeds. The powerband in the CX-5 should be better just from the 530+ lb difference in curb weight. Also, engaging the Sport mode on my CX-9 holds the gears a little longer, making it much more responsive when I accelerate. Make sure you give Sport mode a try on the CX-5 as well.

Thanks for the reply, good info and tip!

Without premium fuel, the CX5T is a lot less potent, why buy it to run 87?
Here's one possible reason: it may not be "a lot less potent". We'll find out soon enough.
The difference in using 87 vs 91-93 isn't really noticeable unless you're trying to pass/overtake someone on a freeway or at higher speeds.

I had a '11 CX-9 GT with the 3.7 liter V6 and always felt that it was slow off the line and lacked passing power ... most likely due to the throttle and transmission programming.
To get the performance I wanted; I often "gave it plenty of gas" and my fuel economy figures reflected my impatience.

By comparison, at light throttle my '16 CX-9 GT with the 2.5 turbo felt faster off the line and had ample passing power when pushed.
I currently have the '17 CX-5 in my signature.
I recently test drove a '19 GT Reserve with the 2.5 turbo and was impressed with its smooth and ample power delivery.
My dealership received its first 2 Signatures this morning while I was having my Miata serviced ... unfortunately NOT my SRC that is still awaiting port processing in San Diego. (shrug)

Strange, as I see or 2011 cx9 as trigger happy, doesn't take much throttle at all to get going....even at 130K miles.

I guess maybe I was expecting too much, or I got a dud 2019 cx9 to drive.

I'll take the cx5 Sig for a spin soon and make the decision.

Here's one possible reason: it may not be "a lot less potent". We'll find out soon enough.

A 10% hp increase is pretty substantial. If it*s not really doing anything with it, that*s a shame...

The Miata just got a 13% hp increase, and folks are jumping for joy. Well,some...

Personally, it is nice to see one run on 87 efficiently, though, as my turbo car would break the motor mounts from bouncing down the street on 87...

To those who think the Miata has risen in price too much..... take the original (and wildly popular with long waiting lists) Miata's $14K base price in 1990 and convert to 2018 $ and you get about $26K. Guess what the base price is of a new 2019 Miata? About $26K. And you're getting a hell of a lot more car with tons more features (especially safety) and over 50% more power. And the weight has only gone up slightly. Miata's are great deals. Sure you can option them up to $35K, but you don't need to have a heck of a sports car. Given the low sales volume, I don't know how Mazda manages to sell them for what they do. I think they were hoping they'd get the sales volume up quite a bit with the Fiat deal, but I don't think Fiat is doing very well with their turbo version.

I'd own one today if I was willing to fold my 6'-2" 66-yo body into one. Sadly, I'm not.

It will never happen with the shift in consumer preference to SUVs, but I've always wished Mazda would build a 2- or 4-door coupe/sedan version of the Miata. Being RWD, it would be nicely differentiated from the FWD/AWD competition. I spiritual successor to the BMW 2002 and Datsun 510's if you will. A much lighter/simpler/cheaper/more-reliable RWD competitor to the A3 or 230i.

Now a Mazdaspeed CX-5 with the 2.5t and a serious wheels/suspension/handling package and much more aggressive styling? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

- Mark

Last edited:
Now a Mazdaspeed CX-5 with the 2.5t and a serious wheels/suspension/handling package and much more aggressive styling? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

- Mark

After driving my 2.5T Sig, I don't think they need to do anything with handling/suspension. I think it was over engineered in the regular 2.5 and there's nothing about it that's deficient in the 2.5T. It handles like a dream in any driving situation I've yet to encounter. (ex: GVC)

Tires/wheels - maybe. The Toyo A36 reviews seem kind of mediocre. A 3 season performance tire might be nice.

Yes, I'd love to see more aggressive styling. Mazda already has it. They just need to bring it to the US, add the 2.5T and Signature trim. It's their CX-4.

To those who think the Miata has risen in price too much..... take the original (and wildly popular with long waiting lists) Miata's $14K base price in 1990 and convert to 2018 $ and you get about $26K. Guess what the base price is of a new 2019 Miata? About $26K. And you're getting a hell of a lot more car with tons more features (especially safety) and over 50% more power. And the weight has only gone up slightly. Miata's are great deals. Sure you can option them up to $35K, but you don't need to have a heck of a sports car. Given the low sales volume, I don't know how Mazda manages to sell them for what they do. I think they were hoping they'd get the sales volume up quite a bit with the Fiat deal, but I don't think Fiat is doing very well with their turbo version.

I'd own one today if I was willing to fold my 6'-2" 66-yo body into one. Sadly, I'm not.

It will never happen with the shift in consumer preference to SUVs, but I've always wished Mazda would build a 2- or 4-door coupe/sedan version of the Miata. Being RWD, it would be nicely differentiated from the FWD/AWD competition. I spiritual successor to the BMW 2002 and Datsun 510's if you will. A much lighter/simpler/cheaper/more-reliable RWD competitor to the A3 or 230i.

- Mark

That car you speak of exists its the Subaru BRZ- its not perfect it could definitely have a bit more pop but man its a hell of a lot of fun- and a bit easier to live with and more usable than a Miata(that I barely fit in for head room @5'8- long torso)

Yes on the speed CX-5- hell even its just an optional (but real not just appearance) sports package on top of the reserve- I'd much rather blow 2k there than on nicer leather, wood trim and parking sensors

Last edited:
More aggressive styling? [emoji33] be If the front lip was any sharper it'd be an actual blade!

I think they were hoping they'd get the sales volume up quite a bit with the Fiat deal, but I don't think Fiat is doing very well with their turbo version.

The Fiata was never going to sell well. Everyone knows the Fiat joke (Fix it again Tony!), and back when I was perusing the Miata forums, it looks like the Fiatas were mostly automatics as opposed to a manual.

After driving my 2.5T Sig, I don't think they need to do anything with handling/suspension. I think it was over engineered in the regular 2.5 and there's nothing about it that's deficient in the 2.5T. It handles like a dream in any driving situation I've yet to encounter. (ex: GVC)

Tires/wheels - maybe. The Toyo A36 reviews seem kind of mediocre. A 3 season performance tire might be nice.

Yes, I'd love to see more aggressive styling. Mazda already has it. They just need to bring it to the US, add the 2.5T and Signature trim. It's their CX-4.

You*re kidding right?!? They could do a lot with the handling. It has body roll galore, and screams for strut bars, sway bars, bracing, tie bars, you name it. Wider wheels and tires, larger brake kit, lower stance, all would make a huge difference.

Yes, it handles well for what it is and is designed to currently do, but to make a *Speed* type version and not mess with suspension and handling components would be a huge letdown...

Back