Test drove 04 RX-8

JMS'sMSP

Contributor
:
2005 RX8
I have to say that it was better than expected. The hp ratings weather they are wrong or right or too low for some people, didnt seem to matter. I felt that the car just wanted to go faster no matter what the rpm or speed. It was a nice smooth accel, and rock solid handling.

I decided to check them out cause of the dealership giving 3500 off to lease it with no money down. The one I was looking at only had the sport pkg which is basically just 18' wheels, but for under 23k I am going to have some serious thinking to do.

Just wanted to get opinions by owners of the RX8. If I were going to do it I would be trading in my MSP and not taking the offer unless they give me what I owe on the MSP. I am happy with my MSP but I relize that it will never be more than a MP3 with 30 more hp. I am wondering what people think I should do?

s***, under 23K for a new rx-8? i need to get me one. Was the incentive only for leasees? or was this for cash buyers as well?

-Bryan

it was 100 bucks over invoice plus 1500 off to buy it, or 100 bucks over invoice and 3500 off to lease it, for 30 months with no money down for either.

It wasnt brand new it had around 400 miles on it.

s*** that's an awesome deal I'd take it. by the way I have a sport package and unless you really like leather and a sunroof (I don't) it's the best one. You get all the performance goodies ("sport tuned suspension", LSD, DSC, TCS, Xenon HID, and Fog lights with 18" wheels)

Well I am not going to get it. I am too happy with my MSP and not impressed enough with the RX-8. It is a nice car but I can only have one and I am sticking with my Speed.

JMS'sMSP said:
.... I am happy with my MSP but I relize that it will never be more than a MP3 with 30 more hp.

You probably feel this way because you are buying small, mostly appreance oriented mods. While you may like the changes, you don't have anything that really increases performance.

If you saved a little longer and bought fewer, more expensive, performance oriented parts like an FMIC, turbo-back exhaust and a good EBC you could have 80-100 more horsepower than you started with. That might make you feel a little better about your decision to keep the MSP.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...I severely miss my MSP...I wish I could have afforded to keep both cars....but I forget about it when I'm romping around canyon roads at 9000 RPM's...the local mazda guys with MSP's do pretty well keeping up though...most of the time...

The RX8s are cheap as hell around here now... I was considering one for a bit, but the poor thing just felt like a total dog under 5K rpms, and the DSC and TCS are seriously intrusive... it'd be a sweet car with a turbo or two :p Rotaries need boost, period.

Try driving it again but this time hold down the DSC off button for 8 seconds until you've completely disabled the DSC/TCS. Then just make sure you keep the RPM's above 5K...you'll notice a big difference.

TX Speed Demon said:
You probably feel this way because you are buying small, mostly appreance oriented mods. While you may like the changes, you don't have anything that really increases performance.

If you saved a little longer and bought fewer, more expensive, performance oriented parts like an FMIC, turbo-back exhaust and a good EBC you could have 80-100 more horsepower than you started with. That might make you feel a little better about your decision to keep the MSP.
While that may and I stress the word MAY get me 80-100 more hp. you are talking about at least 4 grand for those mods... Sorry but I would have to save ALOT longer to get that much.

Some of us are still making payments on our MSP...

Again with the EBC you are talking about more than just a boost controller there, cause to get any real performance gain from it you would have to crank the boost, causing stress on the engine and tranny. Forcing the need to upgrade those as well.

I am not down on my MSP at all, quite the contrary I love it! I bought it cause I enjoy modding my car. However the market has not grown as I think we all expected it would and the parts will always be expensive cause of the amount of MSP's in existance. While the RX-8 has unlimited numbers and will probley have an unlimited aftermarket.

shaolin said:
Try driving it again but this time hold down the DSC off button for 8 seconds until you've completely disabled the DSC/TCS. Then just make sure you keep the RPM's above 5K...you'll notice a big difference.
Don't worry, I did. My sales guy at the Mazda dealership figured that was the first thing I'd want to know. It doesn't help. The car in stock trim cannot compare to a modded MSP, especially in torque. It's a really nice car, I liked driving it, it handled very nicely. It just needs more power, and bolt ons won't do it. Boost.

JMS'sMSP said:
While that may and I stress the word MAY get me 80-100 more hp. you are talking about at least 4 grand for those mods... Sorry but I would have to save ALOT longer to get that much.

Some of us are still making payments on our MSP...
HAHAHA, dude, it's been proven on a dyno to gain plenty of power. And how does a FMIC, exhaust and EBC cost 4 grand? Even if you went with uber-priced iON you're still talking about the range of $2500...

And yeah, I'd assume just about everyone is making payments on their Speeds... I know I was when I had mine.

Anyway, to each their own, but it's hard to argue aftermarket support, the RX8s have very little, bolt ons just don't make power on those cars and I personally only found one viable turbo setup for it. For non speed related stuff, it may have tons, I dunno.

If you like and want the car, by all means, go get it - but most Speed drivers aren't going to agree with you.

*edit - Just looked at your list of mods... if that's what type of stuff you're looking to do, then I am completely off base, I'm sure the RX8 will have plenty of parts like that. Neat stuff, I'm sure the car will be enjoyable, it'll just remain slow.

Last edited:
Glowmunkey said:
HAHAHA, dude, it's been proven on a dyno to gain plenty of power. And how does a FMIC, exhaust and EBC cost 4 grand? Even if you went with uber-priced iON you're still talking about the range of $2500...

And yeah, I'd assume just about everyone is making payments on their Speeds... I know I was when I had mine.

Anyway, to each their own, but it's hard to argue aftermarket support, the RX8s have very little, bolt ons just don't make power on those cars and I personally only found one viable turbo setup for it. For non speed related stuff, it may have tons, I dunno.

If you like and want the car, by all means, go get it - but most Speed drivers aren't going to agree with you.

*edit - Just looked at your list of mods... if that's what type of stuff you're looking to do, then I am completely off base, I'm sure the RX8 will have plenty of parts like that. Neat stuff, I'm sure the car will be enjoyable, it'll just remain slow.
You show me where an FMIC, BC, and Exhaust had given someone 80-100 hp and I will show you a liar. That is if the guy isnt running 25lbs of boost and his msp motor is smoking.

Mine does about 80whp (between 70-80whp) more than stock, at 10psi. All my performance mods (exhaust, fmic, intake, bc) came up to under $2,000.

The 8 is a great car and i love mine. The only 2 things i dont like about mine are the horrible gas mileage and the fact that all rotarys burn oil.
Other than that, the car is so much fun. No matter where i go its fun and it gets lots of attn, or at least mine does, maybe its because its bright yellow and the license plate starts with 420..

Back