test drive

mikey1981

so, ive been in a long debate of what car im going to purchase since my mazda thing is going to be finalized this week.

i spent a few hrs today at the Acura dealership, and revisted the contested arch rival the RDX.

I know i went back n forth with some guy about it on here, and there have been many debates here and elsewhere.

after a very long drive and dissection of the car, again, (i test drove the RDX last sept for a few weeks) my conclusion remains the same. BLAH

and i am in no way favoring the cx 7 right now, im looking for any car OTHER than the 7 to purchase. Ive spent the last couple weeks car shopping and im again stuck with the RDX vs 7.

I do not know the dimensions of the RDX exactly or the 7, but the RDX feels very tight inside the cabin. The 7, altho lacking in the cubby spaces and places to put things, felt overall bigger on the inside, the cargo hold is bigger with the seats up. The acuras "fold flat" seats may fold FLATTER than the 7, but pulling up the cushions eliminates alot of the floor space in front of the back seat that i have often used when my 7 seats were folded down.

The ride quality in the Acura sucks. For an Acura and a more luxury oriented vehicle, i almost find the ride unacceptable. Its harsh, bumps and ruts were shot thru the cabin. The engine is noisy and the turbo is noisy...by noisy i mean its not exciting to listen to it just doesnt sound good like a vtech purrr & whinne that ive been used to in the past. The interior noise in the cabin is much more pronounced than the 7 and just too loud for an Acura, it actually surprised me on this test drive compared to last year before i had bought my 7.

Now, before someone goes jumping off a bridge, the Acuras engine pulls better from stops, much less lag than the 7. I had been used to the huge amt of power offered by the 7's turbo at lower RPM. I was hammering the ACura and i felt like the power was just not there. On the flipside, the Acura felt stronger on the highway and in higher RPM ranges (its hp peaks at 6k and torque at 4k). For my personal tastes id rather have more power for city driving as im not on the highway alot. The RDX's tranny was smoother and won points from me for that as well.

I thought that the Acuras dash was cluttered and with buttons that are very small very small in nature. Im sure if i owned one id obviously learn my way around but it was a drawback. The informational display, like the one in the 7, is tucked under the upper lip of the dash. If the guy didnt tell me it was there i may have not even noticed it, its tiny, with grayish/white lighting which was not very bright, and skinnier than the 7's.

I did enjoy the paddle shifting on the RDX and it worked well and is much more precise and quicker than the mazda's shifter. more points

==
In closing, im looking at the Acura for 1 reason only, expected reliability from the Honda family. At this juncture, im willing to pay some more money for that from what i have gone through. The dealer id be buying from also offers incredible service pkg's with purchase of the car like brakes, tires, dent & ding, extended warranty for free. The RDX i got down to $31,600 (non-tech). It is not as fun to drive as the 7. Some enthusiasts may say the stiff feel of the RDX is attributed to sport but i would disagree - its just stiff, uncomfortable and less than i expected from an Acura.

Acura wins on the interior, fit and finish, reliability (hopefully), and tranny
Mazda wins on the engine, fun to drive factor, and price

I didnt mention the SH-AWD as i didnt throw the car into any crazy corners or anything, but this is an obvious advantage to the Acura and I would love it

we shall seee. I didnt enjoy my rides in teh RDX like i did in the Mazda, and i think that is important when buying a car, i want to be happy in what im driving. But, given what ive gone through with my 7, id be willing to lose the smile when driving but know that I'll have a product that most likely more reliable with a higher resale value.

As I have posted before, my best friend has an RDX, that I have driven often. As per my observations:

RDX:
pros:
- SH AWD - when you hit the accelerator, his car corners better than mine, otherwise, mine is better
- his tech package has an AUX input, bluetooth, superior voice recognition
- fuel efficiency: he got 26 mpg on his last tank (mostly hwy driving) - my best gas mileage hwy was 21. Every other tank in my CX has gotten 17-18 mpg
- better audio system
- daytime running lights
- engine feels more powerful (but it IS loud and buzzy)
- turbo boost gauge
- really comprehensive trip computer, includes things like instantanious mpg, average mpg on this tank, individual tire pressure, and a bunch of other stuff
- his nav system is far superior: he can look up ANY store, restaurant, hotel and get reviews, phone numbers. He has way more POIs, gas stations show up on the map.
- nicer interior materials (more and higher quality leather - perforated seats make a difference in hot weather!), more storage compartments
- better quality of display: brighter, backup camera has less distortion.
- speedometer has more increments - easier to read
-honda resale and reliability
cons:
- I think it's uglier (esp the back - the front is nice). This is purely subjective.
- mushy squishy brakes (this is a honda thing - my old civic was like this, and he used to always complain about it (now he likes it))
- it's more expensive
- seats take too long and are ackward to fold flat - as was previously mentioned you lose the 'in front of the rear seat storage', and i don't think they're really any much flatter than the mazda's seats
CX-7
pros:
- way sexier styling (I know this is subjective, but I think Mazda really has a revolutionary style. the RDX is more same old, same old)
- keyless entry/ignition on tech package
- auto off/on headlights
- nav system lets you choose between 3 routes (quick, short, and alternate)
- more carlike handling: handles more like my mom's 3-series BMW than an SUV/wagon. The RDX feels more trucklike.
- feels roomier (but lacks the nice interior storage compartments)
- I think the interior LOOKs cooler (cheaper, but cooler)
- easy to fold seats down
- price/good value
- nice smooth braking
- less engine/road noise
cons:
- fuel economy!!
- no ipod integration (but since my ipod just died I guess I should stop whining)
- interior materials feel cheap
- questionable reliability: i've had to take the car in twice now for warrantee (sp?) work - and will probably have to take it in many more times. I think I'd be stupid not to shell out for the extended warrantee at this point - I just don't think this car will be too reliable. Especially after reading the tales of the other people on this forum.

Now don't get me wrong- I love my Mazda. Even if the RDX was in my price range, I'd probably still get the CX. It just has more soul and suits my personality better. But I do get really annoyed when I see some of the things the RDX has (like a trip computer) that Mazda could have easily included. RDX is probably a better family car (I'm single and won't have kids for at least 5-6 years). All in all they are both great cars -I've (tried to) attach a pic I took of my friend and both our cars after we spent the afternoon washing and polishing them together. Don't they look pretty?

Attachments

• Med School Graduation 014.jpg
    Med School Graduation 014.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Med School Graduation 015.jpg
    Med School Graduation 015.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
CX-7's=LOVE said:
*Acura RDX Resale Value = Mazda CX-7 Resale Value*
As Of Today.

quite frankly that just isn't possible. Acura does not give "Cash Back" Incentives on their cars. The money comes from somewhere..and that would be in the form of resale value. If you dont understand I can go into more detail...

Back