Takin' it in the ...

Jim Frye

Well, it finally happened. Last night, I'm on my way home from work, sitting at a red light, and WHAM! My pristine '97 Civic EX (63K mi.) lurches forward. I look up to see the grill of a Toyota Highlander filling the rear window. I have fallen victim to a soccer mom with a cell phone and an SUV. I am uninjured, but I am afraid the Honder is toast. The entire back end from the rear wheels back is all deformed and the trunk is jammed shut. I am afraid the insurance companies will total my ride (even though it is driveable) and I will be forced to buy a new car a few years early. We have a '03 P5 (13K mi) and I am looking at an '06 Mazda3 5 door GT. I am confused as to the sport auto option. I can't tell for sure if it is a 4 speed or a 5 speed transaxle. The documentation is just not definative. Also I see this model in the dealer invetories listed as 4 speeds. I haven't talked my dealer yet (the guy I bought the '03 from is still there). Anyone able to confirm for sure what the truth is? Thanks.

Jim Frye said:
Well, it finally happened. Last night, I'm on my way home from work, sitting at a red light, and WHAM! My pristine '97 Civic EX (63K mi.) lurches forward. I look up to see the grill of a Toyota Highlander filling the rear window. I have fallen victim to a soccer mom with a cell phone and an SUV. I am uninjured, but I am afraid the Honder is toast. The entire back end from the rear wheels back is all deformed and the trunk is jammed shut. I am afraid the insurance companies will total my ride (even though it is driveable) and I will be forced to buy a new car a few years early. We have a '03 P5 (13K mi) and I am looking at an '06 Mazda3 5 door GT. I am confused as to the sport auto option. I can't tell for sure if it is a 4 speed or a 5 speed transaxle. The documentation is just not definative. Also I see this model in the dealer invetories listed as 4 speeds. I haven't talked my dealer yet (the guy I bought the '03 from is still there). Anyone able to confirm for sure what the truth is? Thanks.
sorry about the honda there bub... hopefully you wont be stuck SOL. anyway, the sport auto is a 4 speed... will you love it? yes... is it good for your needs if your a total hp junkie (not that theres anything wrong with that)? no... your call but yes it is a four speed

i believe the 06's all get an extra gear and are 5 speed.... (pst get a manual)

It depends on the model trim, the i and i touring gets 4 and the s and up get 5. I got a great deal on the i with few neat options but if I could turn back the time I would go with the s. It seems like a better bang for the buck

racer x 3 said:
sorry about the honda there bub... hopefully you wont be stuck SOL. anyway, the sport auto is a 4 speed... will you love it? yes... is it good for your needs if your a total hp junkie (not that theres anything wrong with that)? no... your call but yes it is a four speed
hey racer x...do your homework before you answer a question...punk

There is a god.

The various insurance appraisers and body shops have had their turns at the wreckage and the unanimous judgement is that the '97 can be fixed for about $3,300 US. It's going to take over 60 hours of labor plus parts, but no one is talking "total". Guess I have a couple more years with the little green Honda, before I go lookin' to buy a Mazda. Good thing, I finally had the induction system, exaust, suspension, tires, brakes, and transaxle mods done the way I like them. Now, at least, I will get to enjoy them for awhile. (thumb)

5 Speed!!!

I just bought a 2006 Mazda 3s 2.3L engine, same as the Hatchback model. And yes it does have a 5 speed automatic with manualmatic shifting...really cool...and fast too!!!
I believe they just gave the s-type a 5 speed in 2006.
SWEET!
PEACE>>>

JSAP123 said:
I just bought a 2006 Mazda 3s 2.3L engine, same as the Hatchback model. And yes it does have a 5 speed automatic with manualmatic shifting...really cool...and fast too!!!
I believe they just gave the s-type a 5 speed in 2006.
SWEET!
PEACE>>>

should have bought a manual

Back