Tach Gauge and center stack lighting is not working

speed1585

:
03 MSP spicy
So as the title states my gauge lights and center stack lights for HVAC controls are not working. ive tried adjusting the knob with no results and I checked every freaking fuse in the car.

Can someone please shed some light (pun intended) on this for me?

I decided that this additional info may help us try to figure this out. this occured during the installation of a new head unit (4th I have done on this car alone) I had just installed a double din 7in touch with navigation from pyle cause it cost 222. but i felt it was a piece crap so i retured it right away for a new unit which i love alot more. problem is when I turn on my headlight the dash gauges and centerstack do not light up. i am so confused

Last edited:
I've noticed the thread has been viewed 50 times with zero response. I am thinking that it is not an issue that happens like ever to anyone, which is always my luck?

anyone atleast know the power source?

whats the harness like for the new head unit, did you have to cut and splice your original harness adapter, or did you just use a 'bridge' to connect the new receiver?

also, what are the controls like for the receiver's illumination settings? My Alpine has bright, dim, and a 'auto' setting that uses input from the factory stereo's illuminatin input...the factory unit would go dim when turn the head lights on, and the Alpine is supposed to work the same way...but it needed a relay or some extra part, which was over-priced, so i didn't bother...

i'm asking because if i put that stereo into the auto setting...the auto dim function works on the head unit, but then i don't get illumination to my gauges and controls...similar to what you're having...if i leave that setting outside of auto...no problems...

i'm wiring in 3 gauges hopefully soon...i'll let you know what i come up with, as i'm putting them in a single DIN plate, and going to be tapping into the harness back there...i was going to look into what i need to do to 'fix' the auto setting problem too, i'll let you know what i come up with...

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. the new headunit I did have to splice and the harness for the new stereo does not have the illum wire. the gauge lights do not work without a head unit even installed. I find it hard that it was intentionally designed to be powered from the headunit. if this is the case then I need to find the required voltage for the gauge and center stack and splice it somewhere

Still not fixed. I am baffled at how this function of the car work. I've read on some other forums ( for different makes) and alot of them are saying that you gotta have that illumi connected somewhere, I simply just dont have it on the new harness. its dangling from the OEM harness I am just about stupid with this by now

I was going to try and splice the turn on and illumination wire to a powered wire. any suggestions on which the best way is?

Ok so here is the deal. the orange illumin wire that normally connects to the head unit, the function is supposed to be when you turn your headlights on the head unit should dim. for head units which do not have this function, from what ive read the wire is simply not used.

my issue is that without this orange wire being connected I have no dash lights. I can connect it to a powered wire for the stereo but it would be always on. does anyone know anything that I can do to restore proper function in which when I turn on my headlights the damn dash lights come on like intended?

so attempted to get it working by bypassing the dimmer switch but it still didn't work. that pretty much rules out the switch being faulty

Latest posts

Back