T3/T4 turbo reinstalled

XoX1de

:
2000 Mazda 626 LX
Removed my small T3 turbo and put back in the T3/T4 50trim, BIG power difference... Recently I installed the JDM intake cam, I lost huge low end and not gaining much on top, ( thats with the small turbo). I wonder why that s*** happens and yesterday, I read article about turbo and overlap till 2am. Learnt something important..

RULE: Small turbo will work bad with high overlap cam 5 degree and more, so small turbo work best with stock cam (in the case of stock MSP).

Big turbo loves overlap, but not much (7-10 degree). So in general, the bigger the turbo, you have to treat the engine like an naturally aspirated.

Removed my small T3 turbo and put back in the T3/T4 50trim, BIG power difference... Recently I installed the JDM intake cam, I lost huge low end and not gaining much on top, ( thats with the small turbo). I wonder why that s*** happens and yesterday, I read article about turbo and overlap till 2am. Learnt something important..

RULE: Small turbo will work bad with high overlap cam 5 degree and more, so small turbo work best with stock cam (in the case of stock MSP).

Big turbo loves overlap, but not much (7-10 degree). So in general, the bigger the turbo, you have to treat the engine like an naturally aspirated.

i dont get ur last statemen, how do u treat a turbo car like its naturally asperated? higher rpms?

i dont get ur last statemen, how do u treat a turbo car like its naturally asperated? higher rpms?

Big turbo tolerate more overlap because theres less back pressure pre-turbine and more pressure in the intake, so theres no reversion (exhaust return into combustion chamber)

So that means if you run stock turbo, dont put JDM intake camshaft....

so how does it run? im building my motor and gonna be running a gt3071r most likely and i may mildly build the head aswell. or i may just have some custom ground.

I need better timing I guess, im runing with water injection and my timing is pretty retarded... But very safe. It runs flawlessly. Im sure I can sqeeze alot more poney by advancing the timing but I dont want to risk it, gotta put it on dyno.

I read far more than just an artcle, I read a dozen of books about engine management and force induction...

I read far more than just an artcle, I read a dozen of books about engine management and force induction...
im planning on getting a copy of maximum boost, but i need one on just EMS tuning. can you make a recommendation? ive heard good things on "how to tune EMS" by jeff hartman.

Back