Synthetic or not?

do a search! there should be a few threads on this question. I think the majority go with synthetic.

Royal Purple 30W...

Not 5W30...
or 10W30...

I had used 5W30 Mobil but cooked it before the turbo. The car never sees the winter so I went with a straight 30 weight. Seems tto run great and has yet to look bad on an oil change.

In 500km... 200miles, I am changing my oil, probably to synthetic now that i'm at 5000km. Here is what I wrote in a previous post...

I studied turbo's and the coking problem; as well as mineral and synthetic oils. All oil subjected to high temperatures will break down eventually, but Synthetic oil has a higher operating temperature, approx. 40 Degrees F. 270F for synthetic versus 230F for Mineral oil. Oil whether it's mineral or synthetic will not bust seals unless pressure exceeds 65-70psi. IF your running a turbo HOT often, apparently 2000mile oil changes will prevent the damaged oil molecules from coking the turbo.

The chemicals that cause the coking in turbo's are the chemicals that give the wide-range, multivisocsity oils their name - do not choose these types of oil. The materials added that give the multivisosity capability are the same ones that cause the coking. THEREFORE 20W-50 is better for your turbo than 10W-50. Straight viscosity is best of all, with 10 points higher viscosity when summer arrives. Also, good turbo oil will have a high detergent rating and anti-oxidizing rating.

Lastly, our turbo's are water cooled, so we are less likely to have coked up turbo's... unless you never change your oil...

BTW I'm prob. going with 10W-50 myself... and while it seems the majority are going with mobil 1, I may opt for Castrol... not sure yet.

Last edited:
I went to Mobil 1 syn 10W 30 @ 2,000 miles and noticed a slight bit more turbo "scream" but an overall smoother engine. For now I plan to stay with that forever.

mazdaspdprotege said:
i put 15 50 mobil 1 is that bad ????
nope, not bad, just really thick stuff, usually used in older engines... also takes longer to "heat up" than 5w30 or 10w30, so be sure on a cold engine to give it more time to warm up.

And for the 50th time, i use mobil 5w30.

I'm putting in Mobil Search 5wSearch in combination with a Fram Search Filter. seriously, though you've been here as long as I have. use the search button.

sorry for the quasi-rant, its just tiresome that people have spent the time to discuss this previously (I've responded in like 5 threads since last Oct) and no one ever seems to want to look into what some very intelligent people have to say.

You may wish to take a look at the Amsoil specs before you commit to the Mobil. I can provide details and recommendations if required.

flyguy

PhreakMP5 said:
I'm putting in Mobil Search 5wSearch in combination with a Fram Search Filter. seriously, though you've been here as long as I have. use the search button.

sorry for the quasi-rant, its just tiresome that people have spent the time to discuss this previously (I've responded in like 5 threads since last Oct) and no one ever seems to want to look into what some very intelligent people have to say.

flyguy said:
You may wish to take a look at the Amsoil specs before you commit to the Mobil. I can provide details and recommendations if required.
I'll be changing my oil this weekend, currently running Mobil1 5W-30, was gonna switch to redline 10W-30. Give us the details on Amsoil, maybe I'll try it. Why is it better than redline, royal purple, or Mobil1? I want the best for my baby.

Back