Symptoms of a bad transfer case

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
About 2 months back I started hearing a humming while I was driving. I thought it was road noise because I had not long rotated the tires. About 3 weeks ago I started hearing a slight grinding sound coming from the driver side front wheel area. So I took the vehicle to my mechanic and on a quick test drive he said it sounds like the wheel bearing so we changed it, however the sound was still there. So I took it back and they did a complete check and concluded that its coming from the transfer case. From my observation it really only makes the noise when I'm driving and I release the gas pedal and rolls freely. I just bought a brand new OEM transfer case and I hope that this is the solution. Anyone have any other ideas?

The mechanic changed the wheel bearing? Not bearingS? Which one did he change?

I just changed my bearings and it was really hard to figure out which side was the culprit - so if only one was changed perhaps the other has an issue? The sound my cx9 made might have been similar to what you are describing.

We changed the driver side bearing. Unfortunately the transfer case broke before the new one arrived making it unable to move. It locked both front wheels. After the part was changed everything worked perfectly again with no noise.

I am curious about the bearing.
Obviously bearing was not the culprit. Did you still get charged?

Back