Switching out Fuel Injectors.. how to?

Metallic36

:
2003 Mazda6 3.0L Speed Yellow
What would I have to do to switch out my fuel injectors, anything I would need to do such as release fuel pressure, etc?

You could, but you don't have to. A little bit of gas will probably come out when you take out the fuel rail, but it's nothing significant. If you wanna purge the system, just lift your back seat and remove the plate above the fuel pump. Disconnect both the plugs out of the pump and start the car.. then let it die and crank a couple more times. Then you can safely remove the rail without worrying about fuel spillage.

FYI, if you disconnect the fuel pump the gauge needle will read empty until you disconnect and reconnect the battery as well.

Thanks :) I just didn't want it squirting out at me or shooting an injector in my eye or something LOL. I don't mind a little spillage though.

Nah, it's not that bad. I would probably still purge the lines though, disconnecting the pump and battery is like a 30 second job and it's not nearly as messy that way. When I swapped manifolds I didn't know about this so I had some minor spillage but I could've done without it. I like the smell of gasoline, just not when it gets on me and lingers for a while lol.

Why go through all that, just pull the fuel pump relay out from the fuse box. Open the gas cap and crank the car over about 3 or 4 times. Then swap injectors, put cap back on and install relay and start car.

Where is the relay anyway?! I remember having that idea but I wasn't able to locate the damn thing in the fuse box.. so I just unplugged the fuel pump instead.

Also after you do that, just remove each wire harness from injector, remove the 4 bolts holding in fuel rail and pull the rail up. Then you can remove the injectors. Install in reverse order.

Thats an extra 5 mins you don't have to take. JUst pull the 4 bolts and they will slide right out. Don't lose the spacers though that go between the fuel rail and the im.

Back