Switch to synthetic?

Not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that if an engine were leaking oil, synthetic oil would just leak "better". If the engine is burning oil it's not a good to use synthetic either (probably a waste in terms of cost). Sometimes high mileage engines are prone to those problems. I still need to look into that...
a good synthetic can cure very minor leaks and decrease amount of oil burnt. If you're burning/leaking a quart a week then there's pretty much no hope.. but the higher quality oils can cure minor issues.

Car is drinking a quart between 3000 miles oil changes...Like my old protege 1992 and my altima 1993...Nothing to go crazy about! I'll see if syntetic will change anything to that!

Go to the Valvoline or Mobil 1 sites they'll tell you their olis are completely compatible with convention oils, which is the most credible info

I have almost 103K miles. Only conventional oil has been in it.

I've had a few people tell me that if I switch over now, it will **** up the engine.

Is this true? has anyone else switched over at high mileage w/ a MP5?

You should also do an engine flush with your last crankcase of regular oil when you switch to synthetic to make sure to get rid of as many deposits as possible. The synthetics usually have better detergent qualities to them so you want to start as clean as possible so that your first crankcase of synthetic doesn't get filled with a bunch of leftover gunk. Amsoil has their own engine flush but you can use any brand as long as it cleans out the gunk. Run it for about 20 mins. at around 2000 rpm and then drain it immediately.

Depends on the brand on how long. Some say 5 minutes some say 20.

I swapped a 145,000 mile beater 5.0 over to synthetic oils. No problem.

The p5 has been getting Mobil 1 synthetic since new and 7-10K mile oil changes. Now at 224,000 miles and the thing still runs great, is perfectly clean inside, and I might use a quart in 10K miles.

yea go for it.

i switched about.... 60k miles ran it for about 10-12k miles until i went away to school and my mom got an oil change : ( dinosaur oil.

car runs fine though. so regular to synthetic back to regular. and its fine.

Back