Swagman XTC-2 bike rack - $168.86 FS

:
2016 CX-5 AWD Touring
I was ready to get the Swagman XC-2 bike rack, but then wanted a little bit higher quality so have been waiting for the XTC-2 instead.

The price just came down yesterday. Together with eTrailer coupon "98XL3" (5% off), the final price is $168.86 with free shipping. Just pulled the trigger.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CMmD0JOH5MwCFQiQaQod-9wOow

Just in case anyone is interested. Not much cheaper than Amazon, but eTrailer is more consistent in term of protecting the shipping package, as well as much less chance of getting a wrong/fake item.

If by "functionality" you mean is there a built-in provision for locking, then no. I just use a cable lock if I need to do that.

Obviously I don't have it yet so I can't tell for sure, but based on my research:

- the rack can be locked into hitch by using an https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) but people say that the threaded pin alone would take a while to unscrew.

- the ratcheted hook, once clamped down onto the bike's crossbar will hold the bike in place. There's a hole on the clamp to put a padlock through to prevent it from releasing. Some drilled the hole a little bigger to fit bigger locks. You can see the lower hole in this pic:
41YoumFBcAL._SL1600_.jpg

And just as paris1 mentioned, you can just loop a locking cable around the hitch then through the wheels to secure the bike.

Or, head over to Amazon page and look at the pics in user reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I was debating weather or not to go with a platform or a hanging bike rack. I almost got this one, but wasn't sure how much space it took up while folded. I eventually went with a Curt bike rack instead. Please post some pics when you get a chance. I might just return my curt rack...

I've used hanging bike racks before and they only make sense for lower end bikes with simple geometry. Lower end because the bikes sway around a lot and get rubbed and scratched. Simple geometry because the bike needs straight top tube geometry (or you have to buy an adapter).
This one looks like it keeps the bikes stationary. I just got a Specialized enduro expert evo so I'm trying to protect it

I've used hanging bike racks before and they only make sense for lower end bikes with simple geometry. Lower end because the bikes sway around a lot and get rubbed and scratched. Simple geometry because the bike needs straight top tube geometry (or you have to buy an adapter).
This one looks like it keeps the bikes stationary. I just got a Specialized enduro expert evo so I'm trying to protect it

Depends on which hanging rack. Curt has hangers that strap to the top tube and the seat tube to prevent it from swaying. Problem is they pinch the hell out of the cables and scratch the frame. One thing it has going for it though is price. I could carry 4 bikes for the price of a 2 bike carrier platform. I am starting to regret not spending more for platform rack. That is a very nice bike btw ($$$).

Thanks I am super stoked to go ride it this summer. It's a 2014 I picked up off Craigslist so it's not new, but new to me

Latest posts

Back