Surging at constant speed

robert_h

I have a 2008 CX-9, GT, AWD, no towing, nav, keyless, 25K miles. Problem started approx 1500 miles ago. On level smooth surfaces at constant highway speeds (cruise on or off & with steady gas pedal), the CX9 will have slight 1-2 second surges of about 50 to 150 rpms. Changing to either 5th or 4th gear does not change this surging (just slightly enhances the rpm change). Turning the A/C off does not change it either. The speed of the vehicle remains constant for the most part. These are small frequent surges, but noticable and irritating on nice smooth level highways.

Air filter and gas grade changed also with no change to problem.

Took it in to dealer, no problem codes. Only error code thro nav sys OB-41:02/03/09 12:49:50.

Bad throttle body, known frequent issue with Ford Edge, less frequent but still known issue with CX-9.

God bless those Ford parts in our vehicles.

Don't let the dealer BS you, open up a case with Mazda if you have to. Your first obstacle may be duplicating the issue to the stealer's satisfaction. Do not falter, the problem will not correct itself, nor is it an inexpensive repair. Mazda engineering is aware of the problem. If the dealer is decent enough to describe your issue to Mazda service "techline", they'll get instructions on what parts and operations will repair your CX-9.

Good luck!

IMHO, Mazda is not the best to deal with on warranty work (based on my own experience). The experiences of others here on the forum seem to be better than mine.

Last edited:
Robert,
Does badself's reply sound like mine to your post on edmunds.com?
It is either the throttle body or the pedal position sensor. I am betting the former.

Took the cx-9 in this past monday, and they did a quick computer update to the Transmission Control Module, but this did not fix the surging.

Took SUV back in on Wednesday, and the Service Manager drove with me on a known stretch of road that would reproduce the problem...and it did and he cofirmed the surging.

Mazda was contacted and they sent out a new Throttle Body overnight. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Does anyone know what the new throttle body part number should be?? I just don't want them to put on a new (but same) part.

Robert,
Glad that you did reproduce the problem.
Please keep us posted of the new throttle body. Same part # or not.
Please ask the service advisor.
If there is a new part, I believe a new TSB is not far away....
I am hoping for a recall, too, but it is a dream at this point.

Received CX 9 back this afternoon after the new throttle body was installed and the truck runs smooth...no surging at highway speeds, on level smooth surfaces

The service manager said they replaced the old throttle body with an updated version after the tech line recommended this fix.

Parts (new) CA01-13-640 THROTTLE B
CA01-13-655 GASKET, THR

My CX 9 was also made before May 2008 (actually April 2008) and its VIN number before the VIN number cut off (see TSB for loss of power on steep hill climb).

Also, this repair has also corrected the periodic 250 to 350 rpm pull down when the engine is idling with the A/C on.

The Mazda dealership which was so helpful was Expo Mazda, Kingwood, TX. The service manager is Mike (he drove my truck and confirmed the surging), the Service Rep was Joel R., and the tech was 91085.

So far happy...will keep you posted.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Last edited:
Mine was made in 12/07 before yours.
I guess I am at risk, keeping my fingers crossed.

Mine was made in 12/07 before yours.
I guess I am at risk, keeping my fingers crossed.

Ceric, I'm afraid keeping fingers crossed will not be good enough. Right around 30,000 miles (if the issue doesn't materialize before that) I think I'm going to get proactive and go in complaining about the issue so that it's put on paper, whether it's reproducible or not. Hopefully, Mazda will issue some type of remedy before that, but I don't see it. The financial ramifications are too far-reaching (unless they have no choice, i.e. litigation).

I'm glad to see a Mazda service department that actually takes care of its customers. I finally got my survey from Mazda asking to rate the service and treatment I received at Bel Air Mazda and service manager Mike Weatherman. I was honest and thorough and merciless, as I promised them I would be. I'm sure they'll still be there next week doing the same harm to people as they did me, but I guarantee you they'll remember my name. Factory warranty and service just shouldn't be that way.

The Cost:

I asked Mike the service manager what the cost of the throttle body was. He pulled it up on the screen, and the warranty price was about $165 plus the gasket, but said the customer price would be priced higher...he estimated about $285 or so. These prices seemed a bit low to me.

Tech hours to replace the T.body was 1.2 Warranty hours...not sure if this is a standard number of hours Mazda allows the shop to charge them or if this was actual time.

Latest posts

Back