Super dissatisfied with the CX-5 2.5 Turbo Part 2

Yup that*s why it shifts at like 5500 not redline if you*re flooring it. I hear reviewers calling that short shifting. It really isn*t. Mazda knows there is no point winding it out to redline and programmed the at accordingly.

Yep, and if the horsepower is there (250 is 250...) it doesn't matter for s*** what RPM it happens at. The thing is just fine and will do just as much as any other comparable vehicle with 250hp. Physics doesn't suddenly become irrelevant because the numbers on the tachometer are painted further. S2000 vs. Mustang GT acceleration times, 2004, are 2 perfect examples of HP/Weight = results regardless of rpm, torque, or any other mess. 370Z and Corvette C5 are other examples that are a bit less extreme.

I just hope nobody is buying a compact SUV to be their sports car...that is not going to happen. These are great cars for their class but no match for much outside of it with it's high center of gravity, soft suspension, etc which can all be fixed including extracting much more power out of the engine...but if people want thhat why don't they just buy a sports car in the first place...and this will never be a sports car no matter what is done to it. But it is an excellent package and the perfect car for my wife's daily driver and one I can enjoy to a point. When I really want some fun I take out the Z06, or if I really need to haul something I used the Duramax...both of which has their own short comings.

Mazdas247....where wanting performance equals "sports car"? LOL.

Nobody is mistaking a CX-5 for a sports car. At least Gen 1 was closer to a "zoom zoom" Mazda and as Mazda has lots of enthusiasts, plenty of folks, including Chris_Top_Her have modded them, tuned them to use premium fuel (and gain some HP out of it), and otherwise improve a fun CX-5 into an even more fun CX-5. Nobody here is calling it a sports car. I am a one car house. When other priorities have died down and I can redirect some extra spending budget back towards my CX-5, I totally plan to get a tune, get some different sized tires, perhaps some of the other mods folks like Chris_Top_Her have done. There's nothing wrong with making a fun car even more fun.

Last edited:
Tesla passing power tends to agree with me, though.

electric motors are not equivalent because they function differently regarding power delivery.

Also HP is a factor of torque. My point is it does matter. Sort of like saying voltage doesnt matter......

For a daily I dont want a low torque high hp motor I have to wind out to get the hp. Yes it can probably put down a nice 0-60 bit still no thanks. I want something that has gobs of torque and can scoot even if Im a gear too high.

Also HP is a factor of torque. My point is it does matter. Sort of like saying voltage doesn*t matter......

For a daily I don*t want a low torque high hp motor I have to wind out to get the hp. Yes it can probably put down a nice 0-60 bit still no thanks. I want something that has gobs of torque and can scoot even if I*m a gear too high.

That's legit, I'm just saying all the people whining about rpm this or that affecting the 0-60 it should post (because it's still speculation...wtf?), aren't making any sense.

You know those folks wanting more sports in their CUV should pop over to their local blue oval dealer and check out the Edge ST. A buddy of mine just picked one up and hes pretty impressed with it. Hes a tuner with Cobb and has a 500 hp Focus ST so if hes impressed it probably is pretty good.

It isn*t cheap that*s for sure. Though the German stuff that*s better is A LOT more expensive.

I dunno, the Macan S stickers at around $55K, and that's about where a well-optioned ST ends up (you gotta add something like $8K to the base price of $44k to get all the "ST goodies", and that's not counting any interior stuff you might want, just the rims, brakes, tires, etc. and a Macan S will absolutely slaughter the Edge ST.

Or you could go Stelvia AWD and for the same money as a base Edge ST without the cool kid parts STILL slaughter the top level ST in everything but skidpad, where you give up 0.04 to the Ford. Of course, the two look VERY different, and that could sway some folks.

I'm just coming from the standpoint that I'd have a hard time buying a "performance SUV" that could barely edge out a Honda Pilot, lol! Especially from Ford (not super reliable or nice), and with no other redeeming features.

Last edited:
Mazda. "We know you wont ever use more horsepower, so we don't bother with it."
Glad I bought a Gen 1 before they numbed the whole thing up.

All this talk about Gen 1 2.5NA being so much better performing than Gen 2 2.5NA, but has anyone actually driven them side by side, or is all this just based on paper numbers?

All this talk about Gen 1 2.5NA being so much better performing than Gen 2 2.5NA, but has anyone actually driven them side by side, or is all this just based on paper numbers?

Sure, they've been driven side by side, and the Gen 1 was faster. It also has 1" more ground clearance (important to me, and some others, doesn't matter to others).

There's a video out there somewhere of a Gen 1 and 2 side by side. Gen 1 was definitely faster and pulls away better.

I mean, real world, probably won't ever notice that, but still, better is better if you are into driving more spirited, and its really kinda a shame when a gen 2 "evolving" actually makes the same platform slower. I guess it's quieter though... (drunk)

EDIT: LOL, Uno posted the video I was thinking of.

Last edited:
There's a video out there somewhere of a Gen 1 and 2 side by side. Gen 1 was definitely faster and pulls away better.

I mean, real world, probably won't ever notice that, but still, better is better if you are into driving more spirited.

Kindof like Mazda says real world the CX5 Turbo won't be noticeably faster? Because they claim 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, while the Gen 1's did it in 7.6-7.7 seconds, and the Gen 2's are testing out at 8.1 seconds or so. Same "split".

That's how I know Mazda is lying about their Turbo times and can't wait for real data, but for the time being, it sure makes the CX5 Turbo sound like a total "miss".

I dunno, the Macan S stickers at around $55K, and that's about where a well-optioned ST ends up (you gotta add something like $8K to the base price of $44k to get all the "ST goodies", and that's not counting any interior stuff you might want, just the rims, brakes, tires, etc. and a Macan S will absolutely slaughter the Edge ST.

Or you could go Stelvia AWD and for the same money as a base Edge ST without the cool kid parts STILL slaughter the top level ST in everything but skidpad, where you give up 0.04 to the Ford. Of course, the two look VERY different, and that could sway some folks.

I'm just coming from the standpoint that I'd have a hard time buying a "performance SUV" that could barely edge out a Honda Pilot, lol! Especially from Ford (not super reliable or nice), and with no other redeeming features.

Its a lot bigger than a Macan. Try Cayenne. Yet another apples to oranges.

It*s a lot bigger than a Macan. Try Cayenne. Yet another apples to oranges.

How much smaller than a CX5 is a Macan? because you did suggest the ST as an alternative to a CX5, so I presumed we would stay in that size class, or rather, that size class had ceased to matter, since you DID kindof throw a 4500# SUV in as an alternative to a CX5...

Yeah I mean a Ford Edge? That's laughable on a good day.

My boss had one and it was falling apart in 3 years when she traded it in.

Sure, they've been driven side by side, and the Gen 1 was faster. It also has 1" more ground clearance (important to me, and some others, doesn't matter to others).

Sorry, I meant a complete test drive, not just a 0-60 where one beats the other by a little bit. And, yes, 8.5" is higher than 7.5", but I doubt it would make all that much difference off road. Actually, the weakness of the CX 5 off road, according to TFLcars, is poor approach/departure angles and that low lip in front. But I find it does just fine in the snow, getting up I-70 out of Denver, and doing easy-moderate off road reaching backcountry ski trailheads (e.g., Butler Gulch). Any more than that, I'd get a jeep - but then I'd probably get myself in trouble!

Yeah I mean a Ford Edge? That's laughable on a good day.

My boss had one and it was falling apart in 3 years when she traded it in.

That's one thing I'll say for my CX5, it's held up extremely well from both a mechanical and material standpoint. By this time, my JGC's entire suspension was literally rotting apart so much that the control arms were hitting the axles. (you read that correctly).

Sorry, I meant a complete test drive, not just a 0-60 where one beats the other by a little bit. And, yes, 8.5" is higher than 7.5", but I doubt it would make all that much difference off road. Actually, the weakness of the CX 5 off road, according to TFLcars, is poor approach/departure angles and that low lip in front. But I find it does just fine in the snow, getting up I-70 out of Denver, and doing easy-moderate off road reaching backcountry ski trailheads (e.g., Butler Gulch). Any more than that, I'd get a jeep - but then I'd probably get myself in trouble!

The Gen 2 is going to be more refined than the G1, but "meh" in other ways. Like comparing an AP1 and AP2 S2000, except if the AP1 were faster.

Back