Sunset pics

msp102

:
'03.5 MSP
Decided to take some pics before the sun disappeared. Thanks for looking!

last rays of light

wow texas sunsets are way different the cali sunsets
car looks good man
silver ftw
DSCI0266.jpg

Now that's a F***ing picture! Please provide some details on the set-up: Camera, flash, flash position, tripod use, etc.

From the image above it looks like two off-camera flashes (or one in a softbox) combined with the on-camera flash. A little PP to remove unwanted reflections in the windows and body, maybe.

Thanks for the compliments!

Here's my setup:
Canon 20D, 16-35 f2.8L @ 16mm 1/100" f4 iso 200
580EX set as master with a 550EX and a Sigma EF-500 DG Super set as slaves.

The 550EX was on a mini tripod about 5 ft from the front bumper, diffused with a lightsphere while the Sigma flash was on my regular tripod about 3 ft from the rear driver side panel, diffused with an omni-bounce. PP was used to crop the picture slightly, sharpen the car, and bring out the sky with a little added contrast. I was surprised because the flashes were actually well diffused in this particular picture and didn't really create to many harsh reflections. I'm pretty happy with the result since it was my first try at off-camera flash, but I'm looking to get some light stands to make it easier to setup. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments!

Here's my setup:
Canon 20D, 16-35 f2.8L @ 16mm 1/100" f4 iso 200
580EX set as master with a 550EX and a Sigma EF-500 DG Super set as slaves.

The 550EX was on a mini tripod about 5 ft from the front bumper, diffused with a lightsphere while the Sigma flash was on my regular tripod about 3 ft from the rear driver side panel, diffused with an omni-bounce. PP was used to crop the picture slightly, sharpen the car, and bring out the sky with a little added contrast. I was surprised because the flashes were actually well diffused in this particular picture and didn't really create to many harsh reflections. I'm pretty happy with the result since it was my first try at off-camera flash, but I'm looking to get some light stands to make it easier to setup. Thanks again.

So the 20D can act as a commander for the others? Does it do TTL metering with the slaves? Or did you set the power manually?

The light does look very diffused. Do you like the Lightsphere? I hear good things about the quality of light but it seems it can be wasteful in situation like the one above since it sends light flying 360 degrees, not just at the subject. Indoors light will bounce off walls and the ceiling, but that's not happening outside so the effective power of the flash is reduced.

I ahve been playing with bouncing the light off a peice of foam-core. Mainly this works for small subjects (still life or individual people) that are close to the reflector. I also made a foam Lumiquest-style bounce diffusor that works okay, but makes the camera tall and a bit awkward (like at parties).

Here's a pic off my back deck of the sunset along the Front Range of Colordao. Specifically, you're looking at the southwest area of the Denver metro area (Littleton, Lakewood, Red Rocks, Ken Caryl Ranch, Chatfield State Park). It was taken with a crappy digital camera with the deck's railing used as a tri pod. The camera really doesn't do the view justice and the pic was downsized from its original size. But I think you get the idea.

Attachments

• House - sun set view.JPG
    House - sun set view.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 68
Here's a pic off my back deck of the sunset along the Front Range of Colordao. Specifically, you're looking at the southwest area of the Denver metro area (Littleton, Lakewood, Red Rocks, Ken Caryl Ranch, Chatfield State Park). It was taken with a crappy digital camera with the deck's railing used as a tri pod. The camera really doesn't do the view justice and the pic was downsized from its original size. But I think you get the idea.

I wish there were mountains here in Houston! I bet the sunsets are always awesome there in Colorado.

I wish there were mountains here in Houston! I bet the sunsets are always awesome there in Colorado.

And you'd be surprised what the sun rising in the east will do to the mountains in the west too- especially if there's some clouds over the mountains.

And awesome work with your pics too BTW. I really like the first one.

NVP5White,

The lightsphere's do a good job of diffusing light, but you're right about losing light since it sends it 360 degrees. That can be fixed by placing a index card inside the lightsphere to direct the light to your subject. I totally agree with you about feeling awkward with a large diffuser on your flash, but I guess it adds to the 'professional' look, lol.

In this case, I just used the diffusers as 'softboxes' to diffuse the light. I had both flashes pretty much directly pointing to the car. I haven't tried bouncing light off foam core but I've heard it can produce great results with really soft lighting. I just need to find the time to try out more ways of lighting a subject. I have built a small macro box like the one from strobist.com and have had decent results with that.

I have built a small macro box like the one from strobist.com and have had decent results with that.

The new cult of Strobist.com. I have been reading that site since the second post. Its very intersting how quickly it has evolved and grown. David Hobby is now doing strobist full-time and producing a DVD instruction series that will become THE reference for off-camera flash, I'm sure.

Anyway, I feel confident in my mastery of a single off-camera flash. I think I'll be getting a second SB-600 at the end of the year, so new challenges are right around the corner.

The new cult of Strobist.com. I have been reading that site since the second post. Its very intersting how quickly it has evolved and grown. David Hobby is now doing strobist full-time and producing a DVD instruction series that will become THE reference for off-camera flash, I'm sure.

Anyway, I feel confident in my mastery of a single off-camera flash. I think I'll be getting a second SB-600 at the end of the year, so new challenges are right around the corner.

That site is great...learned a lot of things from there. Multiple flashes are fun to work with and are great when you're on a budget or need something more portable than professional strobes. Good luck with your shooting!

Here's a South Florida Sunset for ya'll. Took this 2 years ago, but, still probably the best pic I've taken

Picture014.jpg

I also want to add, there was no enhancments done to this photo. This is exactly what the sky looked like the night of the shot.

Tylor

Back