Sunroof

No. It did not have a moonroof. They aren't going to put a moonroof in, only to have it removed later.

These are how they come into the ports.

murph1379 said:
The stupid thing HAD a moonroof, we just put it back in.

murph1379 said:
I still haven't seen anyone comment intelligently on this issue with any evidence or even authority. I should call the sunroof company and find out if they have to cut or add support beams.

How can you accuse people of not commenting intelligently when you have contributed nothing? Do some research. We don't want a sunroof.

I work for a salvage yard and we have mitchell books showing different parts of a car. in a P5 it shows to have a front and rear reinforcement, and a sedan shows to only have a center reinf. also not saying I know everything about cars but that is what is in the crash books.

.........LMAO @ n00bs who dont know how to use search.

hey murph1379, see that bar? it saved my life.

roof.jpg

why do u think top of the line model like MSP didnt come with sunroof from factory?
because engeneers there did not feel safe putting one on.
sunroof company will make u sign a waiver limiting their responsibility.
they will only cover leaks, not you compressed spine.

Last edited:
Dr.Sound said:
why do u think top of the line model like MSP didnt come with sunroof from factory?
because engeneers there did not feel safe putting one on.
sunroof company will make u sign a waiver limiting their responsibility.
they will only cover leaks, not you compressed spine.

They probably didn't put in a sunroof for the same reason they didn't put in cruise control (which I don't think there is an actual reason). Didn't some Proteges come with sunroofs? What would be the difference if it was an MSP or not? Lots of factory cars come with sunroofs, targa, convertible, etc... If they wanted a sunroof and wanted it safe it could be done. Aftermarket is another story. Although it looks as if there is plenty of room to put one in front of that bar. :shrug:

Last edited:
HorsepowerFreak said:
..........If they wanted a sunroof and wanted it safe it could be done.
yeah, but they would not redesign a roof on a car that has one year of existance left.

i had a moonroof in my p5, now i have a msp. it's not something that i missed that much. maybe only used it to really vent the car when i parked in the sun.

IMG_0388%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0389%20(Small).JPG

You can be the safest driver in the world (like me) but it only takes one asshole to flip your car over.

/thread

HorsepowerFreak said:
They probably didn't put in a sunroof for the same reason they didn't put in cruise control (which I don't think there is an actual reason). Didn't some Proteges come with sunroofs? What would be the difference if it was an MSP or not? Lots of factory cars come with sunroofs, targa, convertible, etc... If they wanted a sunroof and wanted it safe it could be done. Aftermarket is another story. Although it looks as if there is plenty of room to put one in front of that bar. :shrug:

I partially don't agree. No sunroof, No cruise, plastic i/c pipes, intercooler farmed from a turbo diesel euro truck, = MONEY SAVINGS.

Mazda spent a tonn of $$ developing the MSP, so to keep the cost down and make it affordable they skipped on a few items (see list above).

As far as the sunroof is concerned, it was omitted to keep structural integrity in place. The MSP was designed to be a true sports sedan and to keep handling at its best, structural integrity is a MUST.

Don't believe me, go ask Racing Beat....

evolv said:
I partially don't agree. No sunroof, No cruise, plastic i/c pipes, intercooler farmed from a turbo diesel euro truck, = MONEY SAVINGS.

Mazda spent a tonn of $$ developing the MSP, so to keep the cost down and make it affordable they skipped on a few items (see list above).

As far as the sunroof is concerned, it was omitted to keep structural integrity in place. The MSP was designed to be a true sports sedan and to keep handling at its best, structural integrity is a MUST.

Don't believe me, go ask Racing Beat....

What I was saying is you can have a sunroof w/ out making the car loose structural integrity. As we all know, there are a large number of high-end cars that have sunroofs and other open roofed setups that are completely safe and handle like a racecar. Safer and better handling than a Protege. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, Bugatti, Mercedes, etc, etc. A Mazda sedan is pretty small potatoes in the big picture of vehicles.

The MSP came w/ out ANY options what so ever to keep costs down. If they can make batches of cars with out any specific changes they build them for a cheaper price. To add a sunroof would add even more cost to an already expensive sport sedan. I mean really, there's only so much you can charge for a FWD 4-door grocery getter. But having a sunroof is obviously more than possible, just not reasonable. I would not have spent an extra 2k or whatever for my MSP to have a sunroof.

*I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing on Mazda, the Protege, or the Mazdaspeed project. I absolutely love my car and it's capabilities. I realize it is just a souped up sedan however. :)

Last edited:
So...you think having a moonroof there woulda collapsed the whole thing?
Crock said:
IMG_0388%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0389%20(Small).JPG

You can be the safest driver in the world (like me) but it only takes one asshole to flip your car over.

/thread

how? if you are not cutting support beams you dont affect support. That beam in the roof is far enough back that you could put a sun roof in no problem, with out cutting that beam. the spot ware the sun roof would go is just sheet metal.
Notes how your side roof beams did not smash down more then a inch. The only way your roof is going to totally claps is if your car was dropped right on its top. and that would have to be from a ways up. The roof beams are a very strong part of your car.

Mysta316 said:
how? if you are not cutting support beams you dont affect support. That beam in the roof is far enough back that you could put a sun roof in no problem, with out cutting that beam. the spot ware the sun roof would go is just sheet metal.
Notes how your side roof beams did not smash down more then a inch. The only way your roof is going to totally claps is if your car was dropped right on its top. and that would have to be from a ways up. The roof beams are a very strong part of your car.

Do you have proof that the support beam is not in the way?

jurgs01 said:
Do you have proof that the support beam is not in the way?

Can you feel the support beam through the underside of the roof? If so, I will check to see if mine is missing behind my moonroof.

I just can't see them cutting it out completely.

My guess would be maybe....just maybe...they cut part of it out and weld in the rectangle shape of the moon roof.

Rawyzf said:
I have a moonroof, so that would be totally different.

Couldn't the beam be behind the opening, but then under the glass when it slides back?

Not all sunroof have to slide the glass inside the roof. they can slide over the out side of the car.

Theres a guy on this board that used to have a MSP and had a sunroof. He said that they had to trim the support, and it was noticeble when cornering that they had.

Back