Suggestions and Help

Hey guys,

I am looking into a 2003 mazdaspeed protoge with about 30,000. I am looking to see if there is anything I should especially be looking at when checking out the car, what to expect, and any reoccuring problems that come with the car? And another question, I know the msp comes with a turbo, but does it come with an intercooler?

I need all the help I can get.

Hey guys,

I am looking into a 2003 mazdaspeed protoge with about 30,000. I am looking to see if there is anything I should especially be looking at when checking out the car, what to expect, and any reoccuring problems that come with the car? And another question, I know the msp comes with a turbo, but does it come with an intercooler?

I need all the help I can get.

turboed cars these days are intercooled.

it has a sidemount, which is if your looking at the engine i believe its just to the right of the radiator.

but around here the side mount intercooler (SMIC) is called an interheater =P

do a search for "the clunk" thats something youll need to watch out for.

whats "the clunk"?

rear sway bar bushing that tends to go bad. This car has its ups and downs just like any car. I will tell you that the handling is among the best. I feel safe when I have to haul ass!! But I bought mine in November and I love it more and more each day. Just a few mods has me plenty happy for my daily driver. As far as what to look out for and what u should know....off the top of my head...
1) Crappy tune from factory...runs waaay rich
2) Weak tranny and LSD, however i have never broke mine
3) Sway bar bushing
4) Dont go over 10-11 psi on a stock motor
5) USE THESE FORUMS LIKE A BIBLE...they are AMAZING when u need help

tranny? really? I've heard that too much tuning to the car can cause i the tranny to go but can it be a problem with a stock car, right off the bat? And are there any quick fixes for the problems listed above?

Back