Sue Mazda?

Bosch plugs suck. Mazdas do not like bosch, especially platniums.

I'm looking to buy an MP5 right now... I've got a couple lined up to test drive, and one of them is a Hofu/2003. Should this discourage me at all in considering this car? The other car is a 2002... but it's got 5k more miles and a little ding in the side, so I like the 03 better.

What do you think--anything to worry about?

Thanks...
Gideon

Ask'em about the 2003 if it has already had this issue or not. Either way I would still go with it. Just be alert to the possibility & hang out for recall if indeed it goes down. Get whatever warranty you can just in case too. Just my opinion.........

glancep said:
I'm looking to buy an MP5 right now... I've got a couple lined up to test drive, and one of them is a Hofu/2003. Should this discourage me at all in considering this car? The other car is a 2002... but it's got 5k more miles and a little ding in the side, so I like the 03 better.

What do you think--anything to worry about?

Thanks...
Gideon
Go for the '03. Word on the wire is that there is a recall in the near future, so it will get taken car of, warranty or not. The '03.5 also has a spare tire subwoofer, something to look for...compliments the sound system well. I really notice it missing at autocrosses when I don't have it in

aMaff said:
Go for the '03. Word on the wire is that there is a recall in the near future, so it will get taken car of, warranty or not. The '03.5 also has a spare tire subwoofer, something to look for...compliments the sound system well. I really notice it missing at autocrosses when I don't have it in

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 03 at this point... I've only seen pictures of it so far, though, so it all hinges on a good test drive. What's the warranty on these? Any chance either would still be under warranty? The 03 has just under 48k miles. They're asking $10,900 for it... does that seem like a fair deal?

Thanks a lot...

glancep said:
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 03 at this point... I've only seen pictures of it so far, though, so it all hinges on a good test drive. What's the warranty on these? Any chance either would still be under warranty? The 03 has just under 48k miles. They're asking $10,900 for it... does that seem like a fair deal?

Thanks a lot...
It's not terrible if it's in good shape. See if u can test it on some twisties, I guarantee u'll drive it home (*cough*I know from experience*cough*). If everything feels buttoned down, I'd say ur in business...

Is it from a dealership or a private seller?

aMaff said:
It's not terrible if it's in good shape. See if u can test it on some twisties, I guarantee u'll drive it home (*cough*I know from experience*cough*). If everything feels buttoned down, I'd say ur in business...

Is it from a dealership or a private seller?

The 2003 is at a dealer. The 02 is a private seller... it's got 53k miles and he's asking $11,000. I plan to drive them both before making any offer.

Thanks for your help.

glancep said:
The 2003 is at a dealer. The 02 is a private seller... it's got 53k miles and he's asking $11,000. I plan to drive them both before making any offer.

Thanks for your help.
No problem. Is anything done to the '02? That sounds really high, expecially if it's got some dings / dents. Based purely on this, I'd say '03

BlkZoomZoom said:
Bosch plugs suck. Mazdas do not like bosch, especially platinums.

In what way exactly do the regular Bosch plugs suck?

I changed my plugs recently and used Bosch, which is what came out of the Autozone computer for OEM replacement for this car. On pulling the old ones these too were Bosch, apparently the same model plug. The old ones looked fine and they probably could have stayed in. I only changed the plugs because it's a "new" used car and I wanted to know how old the plugs were in the car going forward. Well, also the mileage for the first few tanks was only about 22.5 in city driving on my 2003 P5 automatic, but from reading in these forums that seems to be pretty typical.

my platiunim bosche plugs were toasted in 3 months and 10K miles. shot to hell. I was told that the Japanese engines burn a lot hotter than German motors, that is why NGK works so well. Bosche is great in German cars, they were the only plug for my VW's. I like NGK, work great.

Trust me, Bosch Platniums don't work in any car. They wear out wickedly quick. I would say about 30% of misfires we get on older cars are because customers switch over to those plugs. Swap the plugs and the car feels new again.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Trust me, Bosch Platniums don't work in any car.

I'll accept that - Bosch Platinums suck. That's ironic as platinum is at best 99.9% hype and here it makes for a lousy plug at high cost.

However, your original statement was a lot broader and tarred all Bosch plugs. Do you have any reason to believe that the Bosch OEM equivalent plugs (which are dirt cheap, I don't recall exactly how much Autozone charged, but it was something like $2 each) are in any way inferior to the NGK's? The ones I pulled out of my P5 still looked fine and I only replaced them so I'd know how old the plugs were in the car since it was purchased used.

Well I have seen the regular ones do the same thing but not to the frequency that the platinums. I used to run Bosch's in the Scamp, then I tried NGK's and will never go back.

Bosch plugs are the menace to Japanese cars. Nissans despise Bosch plugs. Few of my friends with Nissan Maximas, actually had to replace the head or something in that nature because Bosch plugs melted.

Last edited:
DiS said:
Bosch plugs are the menus to Japanese cars. Nissans despise Bosch plugs. Few of my friends with Nissan Maximas, actually had to replace the head or something in that nature because Bosch plugs melted.
menus?

100_1613.jpg

did you mean "menace"?

menace ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (m
ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
s)
n.
    1. <LI type=a>A possible danger; a threat: <CITE>the menace of nuclear war.</CITE>
    2. The act of threatening.
  1. A troublesome or annoying person: <CITE>a toddler who was a menace in a shop full of crystal.</CITE>

nate0123 said:
menus?

100_1613.jpg

did you mean "menace"?

ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
s)
n.
    1. <LI type=a>A possible danger; a threat: <CITE>the menace of nuclear war.</CITE>
  1. A troublesome or annoying person: <CITE>a toddler who was a menace in a shop full of crystal.</CITE>
haha! (rofl) yea zets vat Ai min!

nate0123 said:
menus?

100_1613.jpg

did you mean "menace"?

ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
s)
n.

dude, if i didn't have such good bladder control i'd have pissed myself laughing.

ok guys I have read about 15 pgs of this thread. but I'm still not sure if this is my problem or not.
within last couple weeks, I had two misfiring, one couple weeks ago and one today.
autozone said it was misfire on cylinder 3. so I replaced the plugs today
I have checked each plugs carefully, and there weren't any problem with gaps. but then after installing new plugs, I started the car and car was jerking constatly like it was about to stall.
so I reinstalled the plugs and car runs fine now, test drove for about 5 mins.
no more problem.
but I was wondering, for VICS prblem do you hear loud noises from engine even though misfiring and cel is gone? or you still hear something is knocking inside of engine compartment?
I bought my car Oct 2001, and have 73K miles with no warranty.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bijou-MP5 said:
ok guys I have read about 15 pgs of this thread. but I'm still not sure if this is my problem or not.
within last couple weeks, I had two misfiring, one couple weeks ago and one today.
autozone said it was misfire on cylinder 3. so I replaced the plugs today
I have checked each plugs carefully, and there weren't any problem with gaps. but then after installing new plugs, I started the car and car was jerking constatly like it was about to stall.
so I reinstalled the plugs and car runs fine now, test drove for about 5 mins.
no more problem.
but I was wondering, for VICS prblem do you hear loud noises from engine even though misfiring and cel is gone? or you still hear something is knocking inside of engine compartment?
I bought my car Oct 2001, and have 73K miles with no warranty.
thanks in advance.

From my experience...

Car started bucking a little bit when stopped. This all happened after a 20 mile ride or so to the airport and did 70 the whole way. Didn't notice anything till the car was stopped and it was fine when I left. Then I heard a hard knock or clang. Mine came in and out sometimes doing it sometimes not. Sometimes just constant. I would cut the engine off and on to hear what was going on and to get it to stop or start back up again.

Yes, definitely inside the engine compartment. You can hear it outside the car easily. I don't think I got any CEL's though. This was at about 30k miles. around 33-34 now. 2003.5 MY.

Back