sub woofer boxes

brians_d-ride

:
2002 Protege5 with only 48000 miles
i currently have a single 12" kicker cvr in a sealed 1.3 (i think) cubic foot box. its in the trunk just like most people taking up a lot of space. i've got a toddler and an infant so when i travel with the kids the subwoofer box is really in the way and its a hassle to pull it in and out all the time.

so my question...

i know it would kill sound a little, but has anyone put a truck subwoofer box (the wedge) between the back of the passanger seat and the rear bench? it would fit perfect between there and would rest just under my sons infant seat. it would probably destroy the sound coming from the rear speakers but i've already got mine split about 70-30 towards the front.

when i had my ext cab truck, the subwoofer was directly behind the drivers seat because i didn't have anywhere to put it and it sounded fine, but it was in a regular square box, not a wedge. i don't have the money to buy something, or the fiberglass skill set to make something, so i'm stuck with a big box in the trunk or this wedge box idea.

anyone got input? its a 2002 P5 by the way.

As long as the cone is protected from hitting the seat, I'd say give it a try. It will likely produce less deep bass compared to being in the trunk...but it will be more bass than removing it completely. Gotta make compromises :)

i hate compromising. before i settle on a regular truck box, i'm going to try a normal 1cu ft box like what i have, but the type with a slanted back. i MIGHT be able to wedge that behind the pass. seat. can't scoot it back that far already because i hits the infant seat. the positioning would still suck but it will probably be better for bass than the tiny truck box.

I have a wedge box in the hatch of my p5 with a 12" kicker cvt(shallow mount) and it hits hard and sounds good. nothing crazy loud but definatley smooth sounding bass. I can send someone pictures if any one would like to see. I takes up almost no rrom in the hatch and sounds great.

Here it is...

here you can roughly see the size
4.jpg

this is where i have it positioned
2.jpg

this is so you can get an idea of the hatch space I have left
1.jpg

and here is my cross over (the amp is under the drivers seat)
3.jpg

thats not too bad. our boxes probably take up about the same amount of space. yours just takes up the space differently. mine is a cube and your is skinny and long. i wish i could mount my amps under the drivers seat but they're too big and my toddler pulls the wires out when he climbs into his chair. i have them mounted to the back seat where you have your crossover. i'm going to go down to a stereo shop tomorrow and see if they'll let me pull a few boxes out to the car to see what fits.

thanks for the pics.

Back