STX Build Thread

122 Vega said:
If a Tech guy can't determine if a seat is mounted solidly, then I don't think they should be in Tech.
+1. That should be along the lines of making sure the wheel bearings are in good shape and there's fluid in the brake resovouir (sp?), and some1's not trying to race with a bicycle helmet (I actually had that last one happen 1 time I was working tech lol).

Tech is basically a safety inspection, and a seat being mounted w/ velcro is DEFINATELY a safety issue.

i don't disagree; it doesn't strike me as being too difficult to figure out that a seat that moves when you rock it isn't safe. at the same time, the actual enforcement concerns me, esp as someone who usually works tech.

and i don't think that the current rule is working too well. as i said earlier, perhaps the wording of the rule could be better, but including the mounting bits in the weight calculation and mandating OE mounting points seems to get us closer than before by providing at least some objectivity and removing some of the incentive for skimp on safety in the name of minimum weight. maybe there should be some caveat in the rule that all aftermarket seat mounting is subject to final approval by tech.

it comes down to the situation where someone meets the letter of the rule but the mount still seems unsafe to a particular tech person. what then?

The problem people do not meet the letter of the rule.

If someone thinks that velcro is acceptable, they are simply assholes.

If it doesn't say you can, then you can't. not to hard to write a rule that would mandate solid mounting techniques.

I still have to argue the OEM mounting location. If the SCCA allows seats in BSP (a mush faster class) to be mounted to the floor, then they should in ST.

I think seats should have to be mounted within the design of the seat manufacturer.

Britt

agree 100% on the velcro characterization, but i don't see how it doesn't meet the letter of the rule. there is no language in the ST ruleset addressing seat mounting, so the "if it doesn't say you can..." interpretation isn't relevant. technically, if there is no specific language, you can't do it; so any seat mounting would be illegal.

as some have discussed on sccaforums, even the proposed verbiage leaves open things like wooden seats and bases built from erector sets...i guess i'm curious as to what some better wording would be. you've brought up some good points.

Car is done for now, new pics up page 1.

They aren't making them until August.

Britt

That puts them about in the window when I can afford them. yea! Maybe some day my car will be as fast as yours, I have to take the slow route to get there. ie couple parts a year.

Okay so I ended up running -2.6 degrees camber on all four corners. With the 450 lb springs in the rear, I can hang it out when I want to, but it mostly stays right in line when I get on the throttle. The car handles great, I can't wait for the Tour next weekend. DSM is trying to get my AFC 2 out to me before then and I appreciate that. No work from MAM since they got my manifold back a week and a half ago.

I have to replace my vacuum lines to the BPV and WG because they keep popping off at WOT at only 7.5 psi. Then it goes to 16 psi and hits the fuel cut! I have glued them, and zip tied them but they still pop off.

Monday morning the car goes to Loyning's Engine Service to get cornerweighted and then I'm getting my tires shaved down to 3/32nds. New plugs, vacuum, wash and wax, then load up the truck and trailer and head out to Packwood on Friday. There are only six other cars in STX as of tonight, but there are still 90 slots open before the event cap is met.

I won't be able to make the practice on Friday, so my first time out in the car will be the NAtional Tour! Kind of funny...

Britt

Oh yeah, 1/8" total toe out in front, zero toe out in rear and +2.8 degrees caster.

Britt

Awesome Britt. I can't wait to hear how you do out there! Be sure to post some pics and vids :D

I bought a new HD digital 16:9 camcorder and after I get back I am going to edit some short films and post them up here.

Britt

What did you end up with for the springrates on the coilovers? 350 front...450 rear? I had a talk with Tony a few days ago and he wanted me to drop down to the 350 in the front, but I said I would feel better about it if we went up to 550 in the back. I'm suprise to see you found good balance with -2.7 camber in the back. I knew I was going to want at least -2 degrees, but I didn't expect to go quite that high. With the extra camber in the back I think the 450F-550R setup will be good since it will allow me to take a little tension out of the rear swaybar and have more adjustability.

Interesting. I'm letting my friend drive my MSP in STX this year in the WDC region (VERY competitive region). He came in 2nd place to Greg Olsen last week in STX against some quick WRX's and Coopers with the JCW packages. The MSP is a VERY under-rated car and could do some great damage at Nationals. Good luck Britt!

I've driven the car at some local events and won STX on my first runs too. It is a great car.

I'm going to try some 225/50 RT 615's on the car after the 245/45 FK-451's are done.

Dave Mac

Tell you what, depending on what happens this weekend, (tire handicap) I may end up at Nationals, which is a short drive for you. I'll tow down, get a hotel and sure, I'll take a co-driver! Twice the chance of breaking the LSD, but twice the chance for the MSP to win.

I will be needing a place to host videos after this weekend, tey are HD 16:9 aspect ratio, and the picture is simply amazing! The audio is processed into a Dolby 5.1 surround and it is really good, I'll post a short clip so you can hear my exhaust. I can't get over it. Unless I think of the price. The DVR doesn't even come close to the video quality of this camcorder. Just wait, you'll see!

Britt

Britt-

How is your AFC 2 working out for you. Did you notice any appreciable difference in power?

Dave Mac

I don't have the AFC yet, he's trying to get it out to me asap. The V1 made a huge difference, and the only difference is datalogging from a WB O2.

NOW FOR AN UPDATE:

I just got back (it's 4:30 am here) from a series of roads that I have been running since I was fourteen in many different cars. the whole trip is about 30 miles of perfect switchbacks, a few hairpins and several very nice long radius sweepers. I ran the s*** out of the car so I could spend the rest of the morning tightening everything up that has loosened. This was the hardest I have pushed the MSP so far, and I cannot even put into words how impressed I am. this is simply the best handling car I have ever driven. All turns with yellow "suggested speed" signs were taken at minimun double thier posted speed. Most of the time I was in the top end of third in the turns and top of fourth on the short straights. Went into fifth a few times, but didn't want to boost hard so went easy. On the way back, I got behind a 93 or 94 CBR 600 F3 and figured I was dust, but I stayed with him particularly well. I am not sure he knew the road as well as I did, but he simply could not get away from me in the turns. I even thought that he was taking it easy, but when we got to the end of this road ( I have driven @ 10,000 times) we talked and he could not believe that I was able to keep up with him like I did, and especially on street tires. I asked if he was in fact going easy on me, and he said that he wasn't exactly full racing, but he certainly was trying to put me through the paces. Turns out he races at PIR so I am sure he could have killed me if he'd wanted to and knew the road better, but having that bit of "competition" got me in the zone and I stopped thinking about what the car was doing and just let it do it. I again cannot state in words the feeling my MSP gave me tonight, I am so amped for the Tour it's not even funny. the car simply just flows. No better word for it. I came back into town (these are very rural farmland roads we were on) and was looking for a large parking lot to do some quick transition drills to try to measure the understeer etc, but there are a hell of a lot of cops out for 4:30 am, and my car attracts a bit of attention!

I only have a few things left to tune on it, didn't get out to weigh it yet, maybe if I have time on Thursday, because I leave on Friday. I had been worried that I was going to break the LSD, but after tonight, my worries are gone. I will be investing in a Quaife for next year though.

So if I do fairly well at the Tour, I am definitely down for the Nationals, I have two more two day events up here before then. I will probably be switching to the Hankook Z212 after this weekend. Although I now really feel that the Toyo Proxies 4 is the single most underrated tire on the market. They were awesome tonight.

The car did everything I wanted it to, the LSD pulling me nicely out of oversteer when I needed it to, but one problem...I severely cooked my Carbotechs! They are only Bobcats, and will probably be okay for autocross, but I definitely need some XP10s for track days. I have a set of V700s in a 225/50/15 for an upcoming track day.

I had my tripod setup in the car tonight, but didn't have my camera with me because I had been at a bowling alley earlier. I so wish I had got that bike chase on video.

You will not regret the AWRs at all, they were worth twice what I paid for them.

talk to you later after I get the car all tightened up again...

Britt

Back