Stuck Gas Cap!

cheap gas cap

I had the same thing happen around my 3rd or 4th fill-up. Now here is the amazing part when I went to the dealership to have some work done they actually replaced it with a new one!!!!

I've had this happen 3 times now in 7k miles on my 09 MS3. Each time, my solution was to tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, until it came off. Worked every time, even if I had to repeat 5-6 times. I have an appointment for service tomorrow, and I think I'll ask them about the gas cap & see what they say.

I was at the dealer for an oil change (full synth) & tire rotation this morning (oddly, the dealer is cheaper for that than most garages in town- wtf?) and I mentioned my repeated minor issues with the gas cap. When the Service Advisor returned, I expected to have a completed oil change & a new gas cap. Nope. He said the filler neck itself had a small abnormality in its threads that was likely binding up the cap on removal, so they needed an extra hour or two to replace the filler neck.

They also offered to put me in a loaner if I had errands to run, etc., so kudos to Ferman Mazda of Brandon (Tampa) for that. I had nowhere to go & plenty of video podcasts stored on my Zune, so I waited.

Of course, I won't be certain that the problem is fixed until I have filled up at least 8-10 times, but for those having cap removal trouble, you may want to specifically ask the dealer to check the threading on the filler neck.

Happened to my 2009 mazda3 ... Dealer's charging me $60 for a new gas cap.... (This is the 3rd time they're charging me money for something stupid that should have been covered... so never buying another Mazda.)

Happened to my 2009 mazda3 ... Dealer's charging me $60 for a new gas cap.... (This is the 3rd time they're charging me money for something stupid that should have been covered... so never buying another Mazda.)

Any other Mazda dealers near you? the most they should be charging for the new cap is $20.

Back