Strut top replacement- alirngment

:
2002 Protege 5
So I bought a replacement bearing and strut top for my front struts. When I disassembled the struts it was clear that the previous owner/mechanic didn't may much attention to the alignment of the assembly. One side didn't even have the bottom of the spring aligned correctly where the trouble comes in is the alignment of the top spring seat alignment and the top mount alignment.

I need to know how they seat correctly, I already checked the Haynes manual and I don't see anything. I can tell there is a proper position to both pieces but I cannot verify what they are.

I don't know that I want to trust the diagrams being correct.

Does anybody KNOW the correct positioning?

Attachments

• A4NizFl.jpg
    A4NizFl.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
If you align the bottom coil with the strut, there is really only one way for the top to fit. The actual strut top hat has various different ways to fit, there should be a dot on the factory top, when pointed towards the inside of the car, it gives you a little more camber (which helps handling and how a car tracks on the road.)

mazda_mounts.jpg

Its pretty easy to see even without the dots that the hole is offset slightly to one side.

Ok, that makes sense. This was my thinking for the top hats, But really people shouldn't be using that picture since it's a reference used for an incorrect setup. But I get the idea.

As far as the spring top I'll have to take off the spring compressors so see the top setup, I believe that the "deep" portion would sit on the side where the spring ends. But since I put the compressors on BEFORE I I checked it I made a mistake.

Back