Strut/Shock Options

Got my Koni FSD's this week. P/N:2100-4045; label says manufactured 2/19/2010.
However I don't plan on installing them for at least another two months since the alignment is still spot on and the only concern right now is the mushy ride quality and excessive body lean which my wife don't even care about.

I plan on new struts and shocks, stiffer roll bars, and strut tower braces. I just installed new goodyear eagle GT tire to replace the general uhps. word of advice, dont buy the generals, they wear way to fast. I am looking for mor go cart handling while keeping a decent ride for the family. and my setup seems to be it. i have new wheels, still 17's. and the new tires are nice as well.

I had the Koni FSDs installed two weeks ago, and so far my impression is that the ride over bumps is very much like that with the original shocks and struts, but the behavior when cornering, stopping and starting is much improved. The ride height is the same (I stayed with the original springs), but the car feels tauter and less jiggly going down the road. The big difference comes in a corner, where the car takes a set easily and predictably, and understeer is reduced. The car stays flatter and is a real pleasure to drive.

Need help! I own 2009 Mazda5. and I need to replace my rear shock because its leaking. Just want to ask if 2007 and 2009 model have the same rear shock? I'm trying to look online but can't find for model 2009. Are all year models have the same rear shock? I saw this KYB G2 w/ part #: 343412 will this fit on my 2009 model? Thanks in advance guys!

Need help! I own 2009 Mazda5. and I need to replace my rear shock because its leaking. Just want to ask if 2007 and 2009 model have the same rear shock? I'm trying to look online but can't find for model 2009. Are all year models have the same rear shock? I saw this KYB G2 w/ part #: 343412 will this fit on my 2009 model? Thanks in advance guys!

The 5 is the same underneath (basically) from 2006-2009. I just did my rear shocks with those KYB G2(same part number) on an 08 GT. My left rear shock was leaking( at 4 years and 30k?) and causing a clunk in the rear end. About an hour and a half or so for the whole back end, though I have air tools and they helped big time. Budget was tight this time, we'll see how these hold up, maybe some higher end stuff when these go or the front struts, if they do before the car does!

BTW, I picked up my KYB shocks for $25 apiece on Amazon.com. I'm a Prime member, so it was free shipping for me. Not sure if the deal is still there, but Amazon is not a bad place for auto parts, especially if you don't need them right away. Price is usually competitive with anywhere else and very little of that no name garbage from Ebay.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago, I replaced the struts and shocks to my wife's 2007 Mazda 5 GT with a set of KYBs. Did the work myself. Seems as good as stock smoothing the bumps with slightly better handling. Comes with a lifetime warranty. Original shocks/struts gave out at 82K miles and two were leaking.

I just replaced the rear struts in our 07 5gt with koni yellows, and holy crap what a difference! Mind you the passenger side was completely shot (which the dealership didn't even notice when they had it in for the last service). Now waiting for the fronts which are back ordered a month :(

a10thunder - thanks for all the info and great writeup on the rear shocks DIY. any chance you might have a DIY for the from struts?

I just replaced my front struts with KYB GR-2s. I now have a full set of the GR-2s after replacing the rear pair last year. The ride is pretty close to stock, maybe a little tighter. I replaced the bump stops as well and it's nice to go over bumps without any drama or noise.

It's fairly easy to replace the struts yourself. I borrowed a spring compressor from Advanced Auto Parts. You'll need some patience to get the strut in and out of the steering knuckle.

For reference, here's a breakdown of the cost to replace the Mazda5 struts:

KYB GR-2
Front Struts: 334700 (R), 334701 (L) - $85 each
Rear Strut: 343412 (Rear) - $40 each
Front Bumpstop + Dustboot: SB101 - $11 each

Labor
Shop: ~$260 + alignment check (for front pair). Rear struts are definitely DIY, very easy.
DIY: $0 + 1 to 2 days + alignment

Back