Strut part help

Albert

:
2007 Black MS3
So I finally got arountd to changing my struts. Michigan roads are Hell on them and after 65K and 4 years, mine were shot. I didn't know just HOW shot they were until I got them off. Well, only have one off so far, but that's been more than enough. Here's my issue:

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

The bump stop is clearly destroyed, I can get replacement ones relatively easy. I'm concerned about the plastic part around where the bearings are (lower left area of the top picture). Do I need to replace that whole part as well, or is it not put under that much stress that it can get by as it is?

I ended up buying a replacement part. Thanks for all the comments. No wonder I don't come to this forum any more.

Did you end up replacing all of the parts? I replaced my bump stops with aftermarket, stock = crap!

I didn't have the luxury of waiting for aftermarket ones, so I got stock replacements. I'm not going to have it for much more than another year, so they should last that long. If not, I know how to change them! lol

I replaced the top bearing part on the passenger side as well. The drivers one was fine.

Who needs to reply when the answer is obvious and you already knew it before asking?

You did the right thing in the end.

so I'm assuming you replaced the top hat, strut bearings and the bump stops?? what did it set you back from the dealer?? I'm going to replace mine with aftermarket from a company out of Germany...price isn't to bad so just curious...

I didn't have the luxury of waiting for aftermarket ones, so I got stock replacements. I'm not going to have it for much more than another year, so they should last that long. If not, I know how to change them! lol

I replaced the top bearing part on the passenger side as well. The drivers one was fine.

I replaced both bump stops and one strut bearing. The bump stops were $20 each and the bearing was $48.

Damn I totally missed this thread! Sorry, op, because I was right there with you. On march 19th I totally destroyed the whole strut assembly minus the spring so I had replaced everything with oem stuff

I had actually posted in the threads "what pissed you off today" and "what have you done to your ms3 today"

Sorry we missed your post, i do not get on that often anymore. But that does not mean no one cares.
When i put tein springs (lower/shorter) different vehicle the instructions asked me to shave the bumpstops. Although you have stock springs. Boy you must have some nasty roads! and i thought western new yawk was bad.

Latest posts

Back