strange problem, someone please help.

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
i have a 2003 proteg5, i bought a car charger for my phone today and it didnt work, tried to find the fuse for it but i just read its apparently code named in the owner manual, i tried to see if they wired my deck up wrong, start the car, the deck no longer worked, and i had to use the shift lock over ride to get back home from my friends house. turns out the fuse is blown to the cig lighter but now i have no clue whats up with my transmission not letting me shift out of park normally. i wouldnt immagine its something extremely serious and its too late to goto a dealer anyone got any ideas i could try. i dont know much about cars so please try to help. if u need more detail ill try my best.

Edit: i got to radio shack and replaced the blown 20a fuse and the cig lighter works now but the check engine light and AT light are still on, any ideas what could have caused this? im going to try to bring it in tomorrow if i cant get it to work

thank you!!
Brian MrBmx

Last edited:
Yikes, I don't know what to tell you about the tranny, but the CD and lighter are wired together and I had that same problem. I bought a non-oem charger from ebay and it blew a fuse. I thought it might just be a one time thing, then it did it again. So I thought it was a p5 problem and used it in my brother's Fit, and it blew the fuse in that car too. An OEM charger might solve your fuse problem.

well be prepared to crack jokes at me, i fixed it late last night before spending a ton of money to get it looked at.

while i was looking for the cig fuse at my friends house i was pullin the fuses out and putting them back in to check for a blown one, i put the fuse thats for the radio in the open fuse spot directly under it (fuse spot 6 instead of 3) without realizing, and that was my deck problem, which was also the tranny problem, idk what caused it but my friend came over last night and helped me figure it out, reset the cars computer and the check engine light is fixed, the tranny is fine as is the cd player and the cig lighter works.

call me a noob if you'd like, i can take it :p

thanks for your help tho :]

Brian MrBmx

congrats on fixing it! nothing wrong with learning a little more about your car. Other on here have hooked up batteries wrong so dont feel bad. Also glad to hear its was nothing major!

:] thanks lol i felt pretty stupid to be honest.

dont be.. A guy on my old contour forum blew his engine down shifting from 4th to 2nd trying to keep up with a prosche! He thought the rev limiter would save him from blowing it up, but he didn't realize that was only when accelerating and not being forced to a higher rpm.

Haha, funny that you did that...when I blew a fuse in my brother's Fit, I was checking fuses and replaced one in the wrong slot. I went in to buy fuses, came back out, and my Dad (who was roadtripping with me at the time) said, "Son, what did you do to the car. It won't start!"

Back