Strange Clutch Problem

Ryoga28

For the past month or so I've been running into some strange random instances where my clutch pedal would be so soft that I can't engage any gears until I pump the clutch a couple of times. When this happens, the brake pedal would also feel softer. After the car warms up, the problems would disappear.

I had the brake system flushed yesterday thinking that it was some air in the sytem. It was ok until this afternoon when it happened again.

Does anyone know what's going?

I guess you might need a new clutch soon, but I'm not really sure. How many miles on the clutch? My stock msp clutch does the same thing and I have put 56,000+ miles on it fyi

I guess you might need a new clutch soon, but I'm not really sure. How many miles on the clutch? My stock msp clutch does the same thing and I have put 56,000+ miles on it fyi

so you had the same problem with the stock clutch? Whats throwing me off is that the problem goes away after it warms up

I have 83k miles on the clutch and it's still going strong. I've never come across your issue, however I also don't drive the car until it's finished warming up.

Nope..If the Brakes get Soft..I am going to say your not having a CLutch Issue..Not with the disc anyway.

What did you put back in for FLuid?

The Clutch and Brakes use the Same FLuid from the Same Resevoir..so there may be an Underlying Resevoir or MS issue?

I had an issue where my ABS light would come on when I had the clutch and brake depressed and my clutch would slip.

I was simply low on brake fluid and once filled, I was fine. You dont have a clutch issue but more a master cylinder/slave cylinder issue. I would check your brake fluid and go from there.

Check the slave cylinder for signs of leaks. If none, then open it up and bleed the clutch system. Replace it if its wet and leaking.

^^I agree.
If you just Bled the System..and it was good for a bit...and the Slave is Slightly leaking...It can get air right back in the system and Cause problems all over again.
I agree to check and Replace the slave if Necessary.

+1 for bleed and check slave cylinder. Had that happen to me in the past and it was the slave cylinder leaking

Thanks everyone. My friend who has had more experience going thru a clutch failure drove my car and believes that the clutch is going out. He said the clutch pedal is too soft and the engagement is way too low. Also, the shifting was a bit rough.

Engagement too low?
....Too high would be a Worn Clutch..Not too low.

And if it was the Clutch..you would not have issues with the brakes as well.

But if you feel like spending dough on a clutch , Pulling the tranny and putting it in only to find it still does it..Go right ahead.

It might be the clutch..but your symptoms sound a bit like something other than the clutch itself.

I would research a bit more and check it out before I pulled the tranny and ordered a clutch that may not be needed.

Just a suggestion.

Engagement too low?
....Too high would be a Worn Clutch..Not too low.

And if it was the Clutch..you would not have issues with the brakes as well.

But if you feel like spending dough on a clutch , Pulling the tranny and putting it in only to find it still does it..Go right ahead.

It might be the clutch..but your symptoms sound a bit like something other than the clutch itself.

I would research a bit more and check it out before I pulled the tranny and ordered a clutch that may not be needed.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks, I'll check out the slave cylinder today.

I found some paint corrosion at the junction between the master and slave cylinder. Looks like there's a leak. I will post the pics once i get home.

Pics of the corrosion. Do you think this is caused by the slave or master cylinder?

Attachments

• IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 151
Brake fluid is very corrosive and will eat paint and change the surface look of most metal. The pics do show signs of at the mounting point on the brake booster. As an aside what did they use to flush your system? That looks like outboard pre-mix oil, its not clear at all like brake fluid. Your slave cylinder is at the bottom front of the engine on the transaxle, and you can see it without lifting the car in the air.

Have you noticed that the fluid level in the resovoir has gone below the max fill line? Either way you should R&R with a new mcyl and some good fluid. Have them bleed the clutch system also.

Brake fluid is very corrosive and will eat paint and change the surface look of most metal. The pics do show signs of at the mounting point on the brake booster. As an aside what did they use to flush your system? That looks like outboard pre-mix oil, its not clear at all like brake fluid. Your slave cylinder is at the bottom front of the engine on the transaxle, and you can see it without lifting the car in the air.

Have you noticed that the fluid level in the resovoir has gone below the max fill line? Either way you should R&R with a new mcyl and some good fluid. Have them bleed the clutch system also.

My mechanic was use ATE blue brake fluid to flush the system...Do you think he spilled?

Ok on the brake fluid but no even if he did spill when adding it wouldn't be wet on the booster. The seals in the master cylinder are going or have gone, it happens. Get a remanufacturred one if the price for an oem unit is ridiculous. Check the pricing on rockauto.com or partsamerica.com

Take it back to your mechanic and get it resolved before you have an "I can't stop" issue.

Back