Stop Wheel Hop!

UFO70

:
2003 MSP, Spicy Orange
I went to the drags last night, for the first time ever. I did 6 runs in all with an average of 16sec . My reaction time wasn't the best @ .300's and with 2 subbs in the trunk (I didn't know I was going to drag @ the time). But anyways, I was getting massive ammounts of wheel hop at the starting line, which more than killed the run. I read some other guys post in the Mazdaspeed forum and I followed his direction of what RPM's to shift at and what RPM to idle while waiting for the tree to go green.

Basically, how the hell do you get over wheel hop? Could it seriously damage the engine/trany? Maybe it's best not to peel or rev so high @ take off?

Drop the tire pressure. I did this in my P5 and it helped the angry wheel hop problem. Also try feathering the clutch a bit rather than just dropping it. I was able to get my 60ft's down to 2.44 last friday and should be able to get 60fts down to at least a 2.35.

There are also some polyurethane mounts out there for these cars that should eliminate some wheel hop, but I can speak for how they work since I do not have em. Good luck!

I autocross, which requires a quick launch 99% of the time, and I don't have the hop unless I drop the clutch, which is the wrong way to launch anyway.
As said before, learn how to feather the clutch out. You will eliminate the hop and your times will greatly improve. Dropping the clutch doesn't do anything good for the car or your times.

I agree with cjstinger. I always get a kick out of people "dropping the clutch" thinking that's how to launch. Great if you don't care about your tires.

Practice feathering it a bit, it'll pay off.

Thanks for the tip guys. Lets say you go to the drags every week or every second. I'm guessing this is no good for the clutch in the long term.

feathering will kill a clutch quicker than granny driving, but dropping it is not good for it either. heck for that matter drag racing is not good for the car. just choose the lesser of the evils.
feathering/slipping witll kill your clutch quicker, dropping will kill your tires quicker. I would stick to feathering. it's better for launches and you won't get as much wheel hop, which can damage other stuff. I got wheel hop in my se-r and it broke my tranny. not cheap...

Back