Stock Shift Knob.

huskyjackal

:
1995 MX-3 RS
I just purchased an '02 Protege 5 manual and noticed that the shift knob is very worn and has no markings or indicators on it... I've never driven stick and I find the diagram very helpful in knowing how to shift. I did searches on here and Google and did not come up with anything helpful except for aftermarket shift knobs, which I'm not entirely interested in nor can I compare them to the stock shift knob.

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but does the P5 shift knob come standard with a diagram on it? Or is it left blank? If anyone just has a photo of the diagram that would be great as I can just sharpie it on, I don't really care, so long as I have -something- to aid me in learning, and by the time it rubs off I'm sure I'll be proficient enough to not need it so much.

Thanks a ton and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or is a bit of a moot point. :p

yes the 02 leather knob came with the H pattern.

its very simple.
24R

and btw the aftermarket knobs, paired with a short shifter and stiffer bushing make all the diffference. theres little side to side play when in gear, and the shifts are much more precise. a weighted shift knob makes it even easier to shift because the added weight helps it move through the gates smoother

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

I'll have to wait on a new shift system, need to learn to drive it first, I think. :) But I have heard a shorter shift is smoother.

damn that's kinda scary. You're driving around on the road and you have to look down to find the gears. It's not hard to remember, now is it?

i would highly recommend an aftermarket shift knob/ short shifter if you want to go that route. It's a very inexpensive mod and well worth it. especially if you are going to end up with a new shift knob anyways cause yours is worn out. (ps- sharpie-ing your knob is ghetto lol)

+1 I have Energy Suspension in my Integra and it gives the gate a "snick snick" sort of feel. Very cheap and easy to install...well worth it.

Hey, if you are first learning stick, search the forum for a thread that teach driving stick, it's named something like "feather it" but not hard to find. I would be really happy if I read that before learning driving stick two months ago.
It's so damn fun!
Good luck!

Josh

damn that's kinda scary. You're driving around on the road and you have to look down to find the gears. It's not hard to remember, now is it?
Oh, I'm not driving yet. I've only "driven stick" maybe twice... didn't stall out or anything, but I hardly count a loop around a parking lot "driving experience." I still haven't picked my new car up yet, I'll be learning on my roommate's old 626 before I drive the new P5 (don't want to burn out the clutch in the first week, hah!). I just feel.. comforted? By seeing the diagram, even though I already knew where the gears were, it's a visual comfort thing.

And true - sharpie-ing a diagram would be very ghetto. :p
Also, thank you for the info & link suggestions everyone!

I may have a stock knob off my 03 Pro5 stick that is in real good shape in afew weeks. I'm going to be ordering a full TWM shortshifter with boot, bushings, and knob. So, when that shows, if you want to replace your worn out one, let me know.

Also, just ran down to look at it and it does have the shift pattern stamped into the leather. Only problem is I'm not sure if the thread pattern on an 02 is the same as the 03.

Anyone know for sure?

Tylor

Last edited:
I may have a stock knob off my 03 Pro5 stick that is in real good shape in afew weeks. I'm going to be ordering a full TWM shortshifter with boot, bushings, and knob. So, when that shows, if you want to replace your worn out one, let me know.

Also, just ran down to look at it and it does have the shift pattern stamped into the leather. Only problem is I'm not sure if the thread pattern on an 02 is the same as the 03.

Anyone know for sure?

Tylor

yes. theres no reason for it to be any different

Tylor, I might be in touch if you're thinking of selling it. I'm not sure yet, I have to wait to actually pick up my car, but I might be in the market once I bring it home and take it out. Thanks for the notice.

Alrighty, TWM short shifter should be in the mail tomorrow once they start shipping again, so, in 2 weeks or so, or whenever I get to installing it

So the stock knob can be yours....if the price is right. COME ON DOWN!!!

Tylor

Back