Stock IC and WARM weather

mspHtown said:
here in texas it gets pretty damn hot as well. the stocker would be gone in no time. completely different car with a few upgrades...

agreed. a hood vent down here would help tremendously as well.

snowblazin said:
? If you need to bring your car in for warranty work, just put the stock smic back on. It's not that difficult..
I could try with a SMIC.
Do the stock pipes actually seal the IC good or do we experience leaks?

smo0f said:
plastic pipes suck, period

stock pipes expand with heat and boost, so popping a pipe off is possible.

if you are going to use stock pipes, wrap some grippy tape around the inlet and outlet of the SMIC. this way, it will add to the outer diameter and the stock pipes should fit more snug.

Fede_italiano said:
I recognize that CAR.
Your car changes so much since you got it.
Ken I will buy a FMIC or new SMIC in one minute if it wasn't for warranty.Thanks for the inputs guys.

just swap the unit with the stock one when you need warranty work ;)

smo0f said:
plastic pipes suck, period

Agreed 100 percent. I hate them. On top of the heatsoak and humidity I'm convinced one of my IC pipes is cracked somewhere. I have too many things that tend to go wrong at once for something like that not to have happened. I just need $200 to get some hardpipes!!! Haha..

Bakrauf said:
I am glad I upgraded as well. So far no problems

Did you use the cold side stock pipe?
How is it holding?

I might follow your example.
Thanks guys,

everyone says plastic pipes suck dick. mine never cracked nor broke. honestly, how much did they expand under stock boost?!

mspHtown said:
everyone says plastic pipes suck dick. mine never cracked nor broke. honestly, how much did they expand under stock boost?!
even if they expand that will only cause a bit of lag on trottle response.
If they seal the IC and do not pop I do not mind stock.
That is why I was asking Bakrauf about his stock pipes.

Thanks for the opinions guys

Last edited:
You could upgrade your SMIC and then buy the Samco Hot pipe which is a lot better. ************* I believe has the cheapest price, but if they don't check out S.U. and Protegegarage .

I personally am getting tired with the stock IC and pipes, I have my FMIC Core on the way and then I'll be ready to install.

Fede_italiano said:
even if they expand that will only cause a bit of lag on trottle response.
If they seal the IC and do not pop I do not mind stock.
Thas is way I was asking Bauk

Thanks for the opinions guys

yea, the stock plastic pipe expands quite easily making your throttle response poor. after i installed my turbohose cold pipe my car drive so much better. believe me you will feel a good difference in throttle response

YA I just have the smaco Hose up top and the plastic on the bottom. Never have popped of yet..But I am still at stock boost too..

Sooner or later---->.....I am on the lookout for the cold side pipe if I can find one then I will probably get it.

I'll post another pick by Friday with the air box removed and my BOV installed.

What exactly does it feel like when your car suffers from heat soak? Is it just no power/boost or on/off power, like a jerky drive?

Perrin FMIC

Hi, can anyone help me understand a concern i have about the perrin intercooler, please? i was told that the support beams that help make the car's bumper stronger in case of an accident has to be removed and cannot be reused when installing the perrin intercooler. Perrin provides a their own support beam, but, this isn't going to be as strong as the OEM support beam as it has not been tested like the OEM has.

My question is, many people say that Perrin is the best quality intercooler to go with, but should i be concerned about the safety issue about not having the OEM support beams for the bumper?

If so, what is the next option for a FMIC that works well and covers the safety issue as well? by the way, i don't race my car, just like to have the car breath comfortable so i can enjoy the little extra for the daily driving.

Anyone, let me know, please! thanks!!

snowblazin said:
Threads like this make me glad I just upgraded to the fmic and hardpipes, before installing the stock s***. No heatsoak for me! I just have to pray my engine doesn't hate me...

slowmotionmsp said:
Hi, can anyone help me understand a concern i have about the perrin intercooler, please? i was told that the support beams that help make the car's bumper stronger in case of an accident has to be removed and cannot be reused when installing the perrin intercooler. Perrin provides a their own support beam, but, this isn't going to be as strong as the OEM support beam as it has not been tested like the OEM has.

My question is, many people say that Perrin is the best quality intercooler to go with, but should i be concerned about the safety issue about not having the OEM support beams for the bumper?

If so, what is the next option for a FMIC that works well and covers the safety issue as well? by the way, i don't race my car, just like to have the car breath comfortable so i can enjoy the little extra for the daily driving.

Anyone, let me know, please! thanks!!

If I were you I would buy an High Boost or Begi kit.
Some says that the beam is there for just 5 mph collisions but I believe that without the support the car is more prone to damages due to front collision.

The foam is the 5mph bumper, not the metal beam. You will be in for a costly repair if you remove the beam in an accident and your insurance will screw you if they find out if you ever wreck and it's not there.

Back