Stock Exhaust?

AnthonyMSP

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5
I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to modify the stock exhaust for performance sake? I don't want anything loud and droning, but I want something more free flowing and less restricted than the stock exhaust performance wise; is there anything that can be done? Sorry if this has already been talked about, but I looked around.. P.s. I'm not trying to spend a small fortune let alone a fortune on this. All thoughts are appreciated! Thanks:)

you could try removing the cat, either replace it with just a new pipe section, or you could look for a whole catless midpipe kit. other than that, getting a whole new exhaust system would be your only other option i believe.

Hmm so would this make the car raspy or extra loud? How much are we talking for the kits? Like is there an exact kit for our MSPs?

SLS midpipe ... its a j-pipe midpipe that eliminates both cats with one high flow cat. And a catlass 2.5in exhaust can get pretty looud but only under heavy throttle or deceleration . But cruising speeds is ok

IMO the Vibrant system for our car is loud enough and it has a high flow cat. Catless exhausts do provide more power, but for daily driven cars they are just annoying.

He is saying anything catless is too loud for a DD. It's all about preference. I have heard a mostly stock MSP with a 3" midpipe and high flow cat and completely stock exhaust otherwise and it sounded really good. Noticeably better than my stock exhaust.

i have a 3" pope dp casting, 3" dp, 3" catless midpipe going into a greddy sp2 catback. I love it! Its only loud when im on it. Its very quite

Oh I see.. And Stealth, how much are we talking for what you have? I'm not trying to break the bank, you're still using the stock muffler?

Oh I see.. And Stealth, how much are we talking for what you have? I'm not trying to break the bank, you're still using the stock muffler?

Depends on if you have the hook or or not. The casting was around 150 ish if i remember correctly. To get it installed and 3" dp completed with 3" catless midpipe including flex for me was roughly 260ish(I think a little less) and the greddy sp2 catback no idea. It was on the car when I purchased it and imo its the best exhaust setup without being overly loud. I don't think you can get the greddy sp2 catback anymore unless you get it used.

Oh ok, well that is still not quite what I was looking for, but I mean I guess I'm asking too much for a stock exhaust.. Not that I'm a big fan of it, but I don't want it to be annoying or a cop magnet.. Any other in depth help??

i have a 3" straight pipe turboback its a bit noisy at times but still sounds really good when i rev it up to around 6000rpm and if the noise gets annoying you can just wear earplugs sometimes

Add a 2.5" catless pipe and keep the Racing Beat muffler. That will be your most cost effective bang for your buck and will not make the car louder or unbearable to drive at highway speeds. The factoty catalyst pipe is the choke point in the set up.

Add a 2.5" catless pipe and keep the Racing Beat muffler. That will be your most cost effective bang for your buck and will not make the car louder or unbearable to drive at highway speeds. The factoty catalyst pipe is the choke point in the set up.

+1 or just gut the current midpipe.

Also just on to comment on the unbearable at highway speeds with most aftermarket exhaust it really all in your setup. The road noise from my tires are louder then my exhaust going down the highway. Its only loud when putting any kind of load on the engine.

I have the same muffler that you do. I hated the stock tires due to their road noise issues. I was referring to the drone of some of the more popular muffler exhaust choices, not a Greddy SP2 or Racing Beat.

I have the same muffler that you do. I hated the stock tires due to their road noise issues. I was referring to the drone of some of the more popular muffler exhaust choices, not a Greddy SP2 or Racing Beat.

Figured as much which is why I stated its all in your setup.

So you don't think it will be too much noise? Like you mean pretty much get the sls mid pipe? Anyone have sound clips??

The SLS comes either with or without cats. I would get the catted midpipe if you are worried about noise. Cant go wrong there.

Back