Stock 2002 mazda Protege

Thetorch821

:
2002 mazda protege
I have had my protege for about a year and a half now. The entire car is Stock so far. I've been in one fender bender and fix it myself. It was original dark red but now it had a black fender and front bumper cover.

I want to start modding and tuning my car. What should i do first? Of course i am on a budget.
I plan on getting a muffler delete soon. Any feed back is welcome

I would recommend against "deleting" your muffler unless you live in a very sparsely-populated area with no police patrols. Magnaflow makes some excellent mufflers that vary in sound intensity from low to very high. None will sound as bad as a muffler delete, in my opinion.

My typical order of mod-progression is something like this:
1. Lowering springs and shocks (if necessary)
2. intake/exhaust
3. Lightweight wheels with Ultra High Performance Summer tires (if your ambient temps don't fall below freezing)
4. Gauges like oil temp, oil pressure, vacuum/boost, voltage. An option is a ScanGauge 2 which can display any 4 of over 16 possible readouts, including air/fuel, intake air temp, coolant temp, voltage, etc. but not oil temp.

Do you have any recommendations on budget springs and shocks? Because my ride is exetremly stiff right now

Do you have any recommendations on budget springs and shocks? Because my ride is exetremly stiff right now

I have some eibach springs I could sell you if interested, you'll need struts though. There's a number of good brands out there. Most people go with tokico.

I would compare the spring rates between H&R and Eibach to see which is less, if you are looking for a softer ride. I had KYB shocks/struts on my MX6 GT and found them to be comfortable - not nearly as stiff as others that are out there. On the other hand, my Mazda3 has Eibachs and Konis and I feel like I am driving a track car - extremely "buttoned down" and aggressive.

See this page (for a Protg ES) on tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...del=Protege+ES+2.0&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

Last edited:
so far, i do have a k&n cold air intake to let the engine breathe a little better. lemme tell you, the engine does sound a lot stronger with that kit, and it does feel stronger too. it does seem to pull better with the intake. i also advise against a muffler delete. instead, get a racing beat exhaust. they also make one for the normal protege. also, some good coilovers could help. i would suggest kw v3 coils because they're very good coilovers for every car, but they're expensive, nearly 1000 a set.

Back