Stiffen your Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed 3 shifter for FREE

I took like 3/16 off and shifting is sooo much smoother. I can't believe the factory screwed up something so simple. I used a 3/8 dowel to impale the shifter bushing and a piece of wood to hold it in place with a belt sander. Cuts it down to size in like 15 seconds and give a consistently flat end. THIS IS A SWEETLY CHEAP MOD. oh and grab the coin bin next to the shifter and squeeze it when you pull up. and take out your ash tray. the whole thing will pull up

Does this also apply to a 2008 MS3? I just poked around on my console (very gingerly, I'll admit) and I could not get the panels to even look like they wanted to come up.

The pics at the beginning were all made using an 08 MS3.
-enganear

I took like 3/16 off and shifting is sooo much smoother. I can't believe the factory screwed up something so simple. I used a 3/8 dowel to impale the shifter bushing and a piece of wood to hold it in place with a belt sander. Cuts it down to size in like 15 seconds and give a consistently flat end. THIS IS A SWEETLY CHEAP MOD. oh and grab the coin bin next to the shifter and squeeze it when you pull up. and take out your ash tray. the whole thing will pull up

Nice technique! Square is nice, but the process is very tolerant of imperfection because the rubber is so compliant.
-enganear

Greatest......mod......ever!!!

Okay, maybe just a bit of hyperbole. Excellent mod nonetheless. It took me longer to grind down the bushings than the total time it took to take it all apart and put it back together again. Total project took maybe 15 minutes...tops. Huge improvement in shifting.

Enganear's my hero!! Seriously, I'm growing horns and everything.

Easy mod to do....took about ten minutes tops.....
Now where is the mod article for shortening the throw for the shifter???

I did this mod last night.

It took me more like an hour, but I was taking my time. I had some difficulty getting the left front bolt back in. I wound up taking out the ash tray/lighter panel to get some more room so I could use a 1/4" driver.

Shifting feel is improved. It is much less vague and rubbery. I think I need the motor mount inserts now.

I did the most accessible three yesterday. I can feel a difference, but I'm not sure it's huge. I did probably take off less than that 1/8" and I didn't do the upper front (LF). Tomorrow morning I may take a bit more off the three and some off that one. BTW, a "wobble" extention makes the LF one fairly easy to access without taking the shifter cable loose.

I did the most accessible three yesterday. I can feel a difference, but I'm not sure it's huge. I did probably take off less than that 1/8" and I didn't do the upper front (LF). Tomorrow morning I may take a bit more off the three and some off that one. BTW, a "wobble" extention makes the LF one fairly easy to access without taking the shifter cable loose.

I only did those three as well, but I took off more like 1/4". I noticed a huge difference.

enganear,
This may be a noob question, but do you think there would be any long term extra wear and tear on the shifter assembly after getting rid of some of the factory cushion? If so, wouldn't that void the warranty if they found out (if they could tell)?

enganear,
This may be a noob question, but do you think there would be any long term extra wear and tear on the shifter assembly after getting rid of some of the factory cushion? If so, wouldn't that void the warranty if they found out (if they could tell)?

IMHO, no. This mod should not impact any components and should not be detectable by the dealer unless they disassemble the bushings which is doubtful.
-enganear

Free shifter bushing update

I went back into mine Tuesday evening. I took all the bushings out and ground 'em down that 1/8". I had to actually take the console out to get the LF sleeve back in. VERY worthwhile mod! Shifts are much better now.

I did the mod last weekend and I'm pretty happy as well. Much less of a "rubbery" feeling. :)

Question: Has anyone else noticed that all of the bushings are not the same size? Or is it just mine???

Last edited:
Well, just did this mod, ground about 0.20" off each of the four bushings. Let me begin by saying thanks to the OP for this idea.

First thing I realized after doing this was "wow, people actually pay ~$40 for those bushings?" I totally misunderstood the point of the bushings until this mod. I had thought they were somehow replacing something in the shifter cup.

Second thing I realized is that while this is a great idea to save yourself the ~$40 for the bushings, it is by no means the night/day difference that people made the TWM bushings out to be. I'm 100% certain that this mod accomplishes 99%-100% the same thing as the TWM bushings. If someone else had done either mod without me knowing it, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference, other than it is a slight bit "noisier" now when shifting. I'm sure my MM had a lot to do with that, though. I'd be PISSED if I spent $40 for the bushings, which I almost did.

Third, I think the counterweight remove idea had much more of an effect (for better or worse) on shifter than this does. I tried the counterweight removal, but preferred it back on. I think people might want to consider trying this free mod as well, as it is completely reversable, and might compliment this mod well.

Again, I am in no way trying to s*** on your idea. It is great idea and great way to save people money. Greatly appreciated.

BUMP - i did this mod about a month ago with my stock shifter still in the car. and it made a difference in the mushiness.

then i put in my twm sts and was pretty happy.
last night, i put in twm's bushings and took out the ones that i had grinded and the rubber part and i must say that it made even more of a difference.

the twm bushings add much more of a mechanical feel to the shifter.
in all honesty, the $40 for the bushings is worth it to avoid grinding the stock inserts down. you will still have a rubber part, which i think is the main problem. yes, with the shorter inserts will supress the rubber as much as possible, but stripping the bolts doing this is pretty easy, and still leaves you with a little bit of mushiness...

/.02

anyone who wants the grinded inserts, let me know

Did this last night, took about 20 mins (including dicking around), and couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks for the idea!

Did it last night

So I took out all four of the bushings, the front left one was really tough to get out. When I looked at them they are really cheaply made and where three different sizes. I was not impressed at all with their quality. (huh) After grinding them down, I was putting the aluminum bolts back when the first one (back left) snapped in two. Basically I sheered the bolt flush with the mounting holes.(hand) All I was doing was hand tightening with a 6' socket wrench. I went to Lowe's and found four steel, 10mm bolts that are the same size, length, threads, etc., for less than a dollar. Now all I have to do is get that broken bolt tapped out. Not a fun night for me (not to mention the wife wasn't thrilled that I could have f'ed up my car).

So my recommendation is to get four steel replacement bolts before you grind down the bushings.

that's funny, i stripped two of my bolts and replaced them at home depot. i didn't retap my holes though...

Back