Stiff when Shifting Gears?

chris.mp5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0
I bought my 2002 Mazda Protege5 5speed not too long ago and loving it. Everything works fine except that when I shift gears, it has a little resistance but it is still drive-able. It doesn't squeak or anything. I know I have so much to learn considering this is my first car. Any ideas what to replace to make it shift smoothly?

Thanks

Mine does that. It's difficult to get into gear sometimes, and get it out,..then it comes good for a while. I conducted a test. Pushed clutch-pedal to floor,..then slowly selected reverse. Reverse has no synchro to mask any problems. The result was the gears crunched meaning the clutch wasn't fully disengaged or that the input shaft to the gearbox was still spinning due the support spiggot-bearing in the flywheel was sticking. I think its the spiggot-bearing which is a small ball-bearing I think in these cars, or a mini roller-bearing.
Its up for a clutch anyway, so it will get replaced soon. I agree also with Destineal, in that loose/broken engine mounts can cause a mis-alighnment between the stick and the box. If yoiur mounts are stuffed, you'll notice a lot of lurching in 1st gear as you apply power and remove power in slow-moving traffic.

JJ best of luck with her :)

Are you referring to the pilot bearing?

Also there's shifter bushings on the transmission that get gunked up over time, most people that have this problem replace them with bronze oil (self lubricating) bushings and it solves the issue. It may also need a gear oil change

If the clutch isn't disengaging you have air in the clutch line

Also there's shifter bushings on the transmission that get gunked up over time, most people that have this problem replace them with bronze oil (self lubricating) bushings and it solves the issue. It may also need a gear oil change

No I wasn't referring to that lol

I actually jacked up my car and noticed that the shifter stabilizer bushing was definitely worn out. That was an easy find, hopefully that would fix the issue. Just wondering how much do the replacement part cost anyways? I'm fairly new to doing stuff with the car so is there anything I should watch out for when installing them?

Thanks everyone for the help :)

**Yeah,..it has a few names depending on which country you live in :) If its dried out, it can grab a bit making the gears crunch.

Also there's shifter bushings on the transmission that get gunked up over time, most people that have this problem replace them with bronze oil (self lubricating) bushings and it solves the issue.

** Yes I've heard of those bronze bushes. One guy reckons they are plastic to stop vibration coming back from the box,..go figure,..I think I'd use bronze myself.

It may also need a gear oil change

**Indeed. Some use ATF with good results if your synchros are toast. I'll keep this in mind if the new clutch [and pilot] dont fix the grabbing and hard shifting...

JJ

I was just asking for clarity, wasn't sure if you meant pilot or throw out. Wasn't there updated synchros due to them being worthless?

Had the same problem some time back, it would happen after hard driving or a long drive on a hot day. I had already changed the shifter bushing out to the bronze oil ones but I still had the problem, after I had a new LSD w/ 3rd , 5th gear and new gear oil installed did the problem go away. I would have to say that you need to change your gear oil, the other parts I installed were upgrades thier was nothing wrong with them when I changed out the parts.

Maybe there is a TSB on the synchros,..I'll check it out. A mechanic told me that once that when the synchros lose their oil exclusion lines [these are the fine machined lines on the synchro's themselves] then you need to use a lighter oil, like ATF. Because these cars dontrun hypoid diffs, the lighter oil is no problem.

JJ

Ya, I think mine does the same thing, sometimes when rolling in neutral it won't go into first. And sometimes it just refuses to go into reverse haha

I'd start with looking at the transmission fluid, shifter bushings, check the clutch/brake fluid and check for air bubbles, take a look at the mounts as well. All of those could be causing your car to not shift smoothly. Also, They're all cheaper than a clutch. :)

I'd start with looking at the transmission fluid, shifter bushings, check the clutch/brake fluid and check for air bubbles, take a look at the mounts as well. All of those could be causing your car to not shift smoothly. Also, They're all cheaper than a clutch. :)

Isn't it a bit slack to use the brake-resevoir for the clutch as well,..really Mazda,..shame :)

JJ

Thanx for the great site,..shows the bushes really well. One guy told me once that they are made of plastic to minimise vibration and "gear-zizz" feeding back to the stick,..maybe something in it? Dont really know :) I think I'll use sintered [oil-retaining] bushes on my BJ II 1.8L

JJ

Back