sticky e-brake

:
03 p5, 92 miata
this morning when I was backing out of my driveway, on an incline, I released my ebrake and the car did not start rolling back. when I put it in reverse and started moving, I heard a pop from the back end. kind of how it would sound if your tires were frozen to the road in the winter. is a caliper bad, need to be lubed, or is the cable getting stuck? I should hopefully be putting new rotors and pads all around today but don't want to do the rear if something is wrong

It's probably the cable sticking, a common problen for cars driven in cold areas. I haven't checked to see if it's possible to lube the cables, if not it should be replaced.

Clifton

The calipers could be bad, might just need to be lubed up. The rotors rust up pretty quick and will stick to the pads. Best thing to do is check everything out.

Jack up the rear end of your car, look where the cable meets the caliper.

Have someone pull the E brake, see if the cable is being pulled, if its not being pulled then the cable may be seized. If the cable seems to be pulling fine, and the spring is moving fine, then its probably a problem internal to your caliper. replace the caliper.

Back