stick vs auto

Roxy25

Just A general question . I am planning to buy a protege5 .

I am trying to wager the pros and cons of auto vs manual.
First Off I know only a few things about cars ( even tho I love them) so if you use abbreviations please spell it out for me please ; ) . Second thing is I do not know how to drive stick lol. I will be having lessons by my friend soon with his lancer. I have many obsessions and sadly I think this new car thing is getting to me, I have been looking up mods for a car I have yet to purchase lol.

Ok here are my questions.

I was looking into short shifters..
Since I have never driven a stick before would it be easier to drive one with a short shifter installed?

I live in Los Angeles So traffic is high 24/7 with a stick is it difficult to get around in high traffic areas? What about hills ? My mom and Dad are both stick people. My mom keeps telling you will be sorry if you get stick and you are stuck on a hill .

Do you get more power with stick once you start to do simple mods ?

List pros and cons or auto and stick also ?

The only pro I can think of for auto is that is easy LMAO

Thanks for your help !

I drive a tip-tronic auto but i prefer stick but I couldnt pass up the price on the car...and yeah you get more power out of stick shift with mod's....If you are planning on driving in stop and go traffic i would make sure you are confident with your manuel driving...A short shifter wouldnt make it an easier cause its still the same concept, clutch in shift, clutch out...

more power with stick shift? no. and at lower HP levels an automatic is ushaly quicker either way because you can enguage the torque converter before you launch. and yes stick is fun and for the track but no you dont make more horsepower because of a diffrent tranny. its mostly driver. and if your planning on doing power mods dont get a p5. in order to mod a P5 its ALOT of work and money

With stick shift, you have more control of the power stock or not stock. You can rev it all the way to redline. With hills, you just have to put up with it. You get use to it after awhile. There are some tricks though, like using your e-brake. I wouldn't want to stay on the clutch because you'll burn/wear it out fast. And for a short shifter, it doesn't really matter to me. It just travels less to get into gear. But if you race and you know how to drive, it doesn't matter

With automatic, it usually changes gears a few hundred rpms before redline. You get more transmission wear if you drive hard all the time. Your torque converter will eventually go and it is pretty expensive to replace.

I drive both. If im on a long trip then I just love driving the manual and even for just tooling around town its fun. The automatic is great though for the situation you are in, sudden stops, frequent lane changes, numerous stop and go's. It gets really old sometimes having to always hold down the clutch and the brake at every stop light so you dont roll into the fool behind you. Just get whatever you are more comfortable with. Drive your friends car a little and see if its what you want on a daily basis.

after a few weeks manual becomes second nature and you never even notice it, unless your in stop and go and your leg is cramping.

more power with stick shift? no. and at lower HP levels an automatic is ushaly quicker either way because you can enguage the torque converter before you launch. and yes stick is fun and for the track but no you dont make more horsepower because of a diffrent tranny. its mostly driver. and if your planning on doing power mods dont get a p5. in order to mod a P5 its ALOT of work and money
My bad..I should have been more specific...What i meant is that you have more control of the power you can get from the motor with a manual, the auto p5 and manual p5 have the same size motor but your right, the auto shifts at 3500

Actually I've seen it on a dyno that an automatic robs more horse power to the ground than a stick shift. Its only a small % though.

For cars I prefer a stick shift. Its just more fun to drive. I live in the mountains with hills and such. Doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes when I'm in LA of San diego traffic I think about having an automatic but that thought quickly fades away once I get into open highway.

Both my trucks are automatics. When off roading in the 4X4 I don't want to mess with changing gears. I'm too busy looking out rof rocks and trees to worry about what gear I should be in. My other truck has 355 horse power and goes real fast with lots of tire smoke. I really don't want worry about missing a shift at 5800 rpms and over 400 lbs of torque. So the 1950 Chevy has an automatic transmission with a manual valve body.

So if you finished reading my novel, in short the stick shift best suits the Protege.

Actually I've seen it on a dyno that an automatic robs more horse power to the ground than a stick shift. Its only a small % though.

For cars I prefer a stick shift. Its just more fun to drive. I live in the mountains with hills and such. Doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes when I'm in LA of San diego traffic I think about having an automatic but that thought quickly fades away once I get into open highway.

Both my trucks are automatics. When off roading in the 4X4 I don't want to mess with changing gears. I'm too busy looking out rof rocks and trees to worry about what gear I should be in. My other truck has 355 horse power and goes real fast with lots of tire smoke. I really don't want worry about missing a shift at 5800 rpms and over 400 lbs of torque. So the 1950 Chevy has an automatic transmission with a manual valve body.

So if you finished reading my novel, in short the stick shift best suits the Protege.
i like the new sig!

i like the new sig!

Wow way to get off topic ;)

Since we are off topic do a search for 1950 on here and you can see the 1950 chevy truck.

OK to get back on topic .

Unless you are looking for performance driving then the short shifter isn't really needed. Its just icing on the cake.

and if your planning on doing power mods dont get a p5. in order to mod a P5 its ALOT of work and money

Really ? man Really was trying to get a P5 since they are cheaper but I was looking at mazda3 hatchback also. I am a college student on a budget hahah

why do P5 take a lot of work? I am not too worried about the money part ( I know i just said I was a poor college student lol) But I have friends into this type of stuff that will help me out hehhehe

Really ? man Really was trying to get a P5 since they are cheaper but I was looking at mazda3 hatchback also. I am a college student on a budget hahah

why do P5 take a lot of work? I am not too worried about the money part ( I know i just said I was a poor college student lol) But I have friends into this type of stuff that will help me out hehhehe

Cause for the price of the mods( cold air intake, headers, turbos)...They arent cheap and dont sometimes do justice for the price..Everyone that mods the P5 does it for the simple fact they love the car..It just looks that damn good

Back