steering wheel airbag cover renewal...

Mx5+Cx9

CX9exer
:
1994 Miata "R" and 2008 CX9 GT
Does anybody know if the front air bag cover on the steering wheel is replacable, or is it integrated to the air bag system? It's the piece w/ the Mazda emblem on it. I need to replace my wife's because of my stupidity. I'm hoping those w/ a shop manual can chime in. Thanks.

I can look when my wife gets home from work, but the center pad tends to be integrated with the air bag unit because they are designed to break apart to allow the bag to deploy. Call a dealer and ask.

The assemblies I've seen included the outer pad.

my fear is that it's integrated. But, I'm hoping not since it's what you press for the horn. I'd appreciate it if you can look for me. I'm gonna head over to the stealer when I get home in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Can't be sure but there is a section in WorkShop manual on how to remove driver's front airbag. It seems that the whole module is one-piece. The cover of the module is designed to break open when it is activated. Therefore, I don't think you can buy just the plastic cover.
How bad did you damage yours?

I can scan you the page if you need it later.
There are only 5 simple steps.

Can't be sure but there is a section in WorkShop manual on how to remove driver's front airbag. It seems that the whole module is one-piece. The cover of the module is designed to break open when it is activated. Therefore, I don't think you can buy just the plastic cover.
How bad did you damage yours?

I can scan you the page if you need it later.
There are only 5 simple steps.

It's not damaged too badly, just a small 1" superficial gash. Except it's unsightly, and will be a constant reminder of my stupidity, so I'd rather not see it. I would appreciate it if you could scan and email it to me if you'd rather not post it here.

Thanks!

Here is the page.

Attachments

• mazdz002.jpg
    mazdz002.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 649
As shown it comes off with 2 10mm bolts under snap out covers. Very easy, but it is an integrated unit, as I suspected.

To replace the cover you have to replace the entire air bag module. This means you won't be able to buy it. You would have to have the dealer get one and install it for you. Messing with it yourself could deploy it, and that is very bad if you've seen one go off. There is also a very delicate rubber band that keeps the wiring ina certain position that can be easily broken if you're not careful.

Do you have a photo of the damage?

Last edited:
I'm considering putting a vinyl material over it. My buddy has a sign/graphics shop and he's got a textured vinyl material that looks like carbon fiber. I can't imagine how it looks, hopefully it doesn't look too odd.

I wouldn't even mess with it, but if you do, take every precaution possible. That thing can kill you if it goes off.

It's a little odd that someone is selling one on ebay. Stolen maybe?

Nah, I'm not gonna mess w/ replacing the air bag. Not for a small cosmetic scar. I've covered it w/ vinyl instead.
Here is a picture of the scar:
3577433385_7d936fbb34.jpg

and here's a picture after covering it:
3578236898_2ec83773d6.jpg

It looks ok, so I think I'll leave it on.

Oh I totally didn't notice that you were talking about a CX-9. Fail on me. Forget what I said earlier

Back