Steering Column Length

:
03 Mazdaspeed, Orange
Does anyone have the length of the steering comlumn for any generation RX7? Im looking from tip to tip, or the center of the first u-joint depending on how it is setup. Trying to gather info for a project that is being worked on.

Thanks

well the FB (1st gen) are a steering box, so kingpin style or whatever one calls it. FC and FD both have racks, I have an FC in a million pieces and can measure if need be. Whereabouts should I measure from? the tilt pivot to the first u joint?

And you'll have better luck on RX7club.com, or if you dont want to read through hours of flaming purists to get minor technical info may i suggest no rotors.com

well the FB (1st gen) are a steering box, so kingpin style or whatever one calls it. FC and FD both have racks, I have an FC in a million pieces and can measure if need be. Whereabouts should I measure from? the tilt pivot to the first u joint?

And you'll have better luck on RX7club.com, or if you dont want to read through hours of flaming purists to get minor technical info may i suggest no rotors.com

If you could measure the FC rack you have from middle of U-joint welded to the shaft to the end of the column at the upper bearing support that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Alright heres what I got from your description:

19 inches from the support to the middle of Ujoint
IMG_0065.jpg

And just in case, 24 inches from tip of shaft to middle of U joint
IMG_0067.jpg

That seems to be about the lenght I am looking for at the middle of a u-joint. What's the deal with a u-joint near the top of the shaft, is that how the tilt was built into the column?

Is the overall lenght 30" or is a bit long at the threads for the steering wheel? Thanks, those pictures help a lot.

Uh roughly 32" long, I have a Momo hub on it and am not sure much that takes off.
And ya that top U joint is for tilt. I have to find a way to get rid of as much weight from it as possible

Back