Steel wheels for Mazda2?

:
Mazda3 Grand Touring 5-Door
Hey everyone, quick question(s). Does anyone know of any hub centric steel wheels for the Mazda2 other than the 15" OEM ones that come on the Sport trim? I have a set of 14" steelies that I bought and they fit, sort of. The problem is that they are lug centric which can easily lead to vibrations and this will be the second winter that I'd be using them and I'd rather not if I can find some steelies that will work.

Other question, anyone care to sell me their OEM Mazda steel 15" wheels? Thanks in advance.

Any hub centric ring I would think would work. You just need to find out what they came off of so that you can find a ring to fit the steelies and your 2

Yeah, I know I could go the route of finding a centering ring, but when I bought these I asked and was told that the wheels were lug-centric so they were not needed. These wheels were brand new from Discount Tire Direct and if they don't have a centering ring that will work I'm not sure who will, I also run these wheels without wheel covers. To be honest, I would probably rather buy a set of steel wheels that someone has taken off their 2, I'm just surprised not many people are looking to part with them.

Called Discount Tire Direct and the wheels I bought from them (Unique 83) cannot work with centering rings, great. Also found someone in the same jam on the Bob's The Oil Guy forums. They bought the Unique steel wheels for their Subaru and noticed vibrations right away due to the lug centric installation. Time to price out some OEM Mazda 15" steel wheels and snow tires or another cheap 14" wheel to transfer my current winter tires to.

Again, who wants to sell me their OEM steel Mazda2 wheels? Haha.

Those Unique's are made by Carlile wheel company other names are Us wheel, Cragar, American racing and Us trailer. These wheels were designed for multi fitment use thats why the 83's are dual drilled nicknamed (black snow). Its a lug centric wheel yes, but there is a very close tolerance on the studs so you wont have to worry about hanging it wrong. I have sold tons of these wheels in past and never had any issues. Also the lug seat springs when tightening providing a secure torque. You probably won't be driving very fast in winter time anyway.

If I remember right, older Honda Civics/Integras with 4 lug have the same or very close to the 2's hub bore. I know Honda guys are always trying to get rid of their steelies. Have you looked into that option?

I trust the build quality of the Unique 83 wheels, it's the lug-centric setup I'm not cool with. I ran these wheels last year and had vibrations all season, although mostly above 60mph. I always put my wheels on with the car on a lift and with a torque wrench in a criss-cross pattern, wheels were balanced twice, still vibrations. I'm also nervous about accidentally whacking a pothole bad enough to bend the lugs. I know this would be rare as heck, but all our roads aren't Texas smooth as glass, we've got some terrible stretches up here in New England what with the winters and road salt.

Regardless, just cleared my conscience by buying a set of "nused" OEM steel 15" wheels from a Mazda2. I was only going to get another season out of the 14" winter tires anyway; time to buy some new 15" ones to fit. Thanks for your help/advice.

I was having the same issue finding steel wheels. Found out that 14" steel wheels from Toyota Tercel/Paseo fit perfectly. They clear the brakes, 4x100 and are hub-centric as well. So I would say if you looking for a set, head to your local junkyard and pay $32 for a used set and call it a day.

What do you guys think a set of steelie's with factory rubber with 100 miles on them would go for.

This is late for the thread, but I've been running the 14'' Unique 83's for my snow tires. I originally tried the plastic hub centering rings but those didn't even survive the torquing of the lugnuts. Ended up getting the metal 72.6 54.1 rings from DTD off ebay.

That .6 mm does make a difference though as the 83's really are a 72mm centerbore. Had to shave down the outside of the rings to get them to fit the rims. Slathered the rings with antiseize since I destroyed the anodizing in the process of taking down the OD.

The rims fit fine with no noticeable vibrations at 60 mph. Good enough to get me through winter.

Back