Starting RX Turbo 2 after 15 years

spencert

:
1987 RX7 Turbo II
Sorry if this exists elsewhere. I searched by several topics before posting here.

Anyway, I have an 87 RX7 Turbo II and I am going to try to re-start it this coming weekend after having it in (controlled temperature) storage for 15 years. It ran completely fine when I put it up.

What should I be concerned with before firing it up?
I am a little worried about the rotor seals(teflon I think?), but also wanted to see if anyone else had done this and what I need to do to keep from damaging the engine. I am planning on flushing the gas tank, radiator, oil, etc. It is a manual, so do I need to do anything with the transmission or rear end? Anything else?

Thanks

basic maintenance stuff i would assume. plugs, wires, coils. new fluids. new fuel. as for the seals. i would say its 50/50 chance. if the fluids in it before storage were in good shape and clean. i would think the seals should be ok when you fire it up.

basic maintenance stuff i would assume. plugs, wires, coils. new fluids. new fuel. as for the seals. i would say its 50/50 chance. if the fluids in it before storage were in good shape and clean. i would think the seals should be ok when you fire it up.

Thanks for the input. Someone said to take the plugs out and put marvel mystery oil in there for several hours. Do you think this is necessary?

I would shoot some oil in the plug holes before firing it up and crank it for a while. Speaking from experience with my own 87 turbo bad things can happen if something hangs up.

-Derrick

What ever came of this? Were you able to get it to start? I've never had a rotary that sat quite that long but they can potentially rust up inside when left to sit for awhile. The apex seals very well may be unserviceable. You can pull the engine and have it rebuilt by banzai racing, racing beat, Atkins rotary, or Mazda Trix. If you can find a close by rotary specialty shop that would be best as shipping do an engine isn't cheap. I have 3 12A rotary engines myself. One is a rebuild with aggressive street porting in my RX-7. The other two are older ones that probably need a rebuild at this point. Its good that you have a 13B. Still new parts available for those. My 12As are obsolete and finding parts is getting hard. I recommend stocking up on any spare parts you can get cheaply for anyone who has an RX-7.

Back