Starting on my supporting mods, oppinions please.

aron_ft

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
I have a 03 MSP right now I have a boost gauge, cat-back exhaust (has what looks to be a glasspack after the cat) idk.., CAI, eibach lowering springs, blitz 2 turbo timer. I want to put an ebay fmic that comes with aluminum hardpipes and a bov, also want to put a wastegate rated around 9 psi, I believe from aspturbo. I don't know if I should go with an mbc or ebc, I am leaning toward an mbc, whats your opinion? I want to push 10 psi boost, would I be safe with that? or am I missing something. please help, im new to this.

eBay FMIC kits are fine, just make sure to get a core that can actually fit behind the lower grille. Search around the forum for dimensions, plenty of people have done that in the past. And any BOV of your choice will do, just make sure to relocate the MAF after the BOV if you decide to vent to atmosphere. If you leave the MAF on the intake you will have problems with stalling.

As for the wastegate, you can't just slap on an external wastegate without a corresponding manifold, turbo, and downpipe setup. You'd have to replace the actuator for the stock internal one, and I have never heard of ASPTurbo actuators so even if they do exist I would stay away. Most of us replace the stock ones with ATP or Forge and they've proven themselves reliable, so that would be my suggestion.

If you can afford one, get an EBC.. they're way more reliable, easier to adjust, and don't spike as much. Some MBCs are fine too but you're almost guaranteed boost spikes, which could cause you to overboost and blow up your engine. The stock rods are kinda weak but they can handle 10 psi with at least a piggyback tune. And I would actually suggest you do that first, all the bolt-ons in the world won't do anything unless you improve the bad stock tune, so look into getting a Spit Second AFC (SS AFC) or an AEM F/IC.

You'll also want to look into possibly upgrading the downpipe and at least the midpipe in the exhaust. A catback doesn't really do s***, the most restrictive part is the DP and the dual-cat midpipe.

For more info, read the sticky at the top of this section.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...mods-for-a-daily-driven-MSP-quot-Guide-Thread

No need for the 9psi waste gate if you're using an mbc, it's better to use a boost controller as it will be less lag. My waste gate is for 8psi an there is more lag running 8 psi than 12. Also with an mbc the only down side is that you will have to adjust it with different temperatures. With an ebc there is no adjusting set it for what you want and be done

However the most important things you need is a wide band and an ssafc before anything else

thank you for yalls help and not just saying search the forums, some stuffs hard to find on here. but as far as piggyback tune or wide band, I am not sure what either of them are.

thank you for yalls help and not just saying search the forums, some stuffs hard to find on here. but as far as piggyback tune or wide band, I am not sure what either of them are.

Then you need to do a lot of research before you keep modding.

A wideband is an instrument that allows you to monitor and record your air/fuel ratios. It has its own O2 sensor that can detect a wider range of values than regular O2 sensors, hence the name wideband. And piggybacks are tuning methods that allow you to splice into the stock ECU harness and intercept the signals (hence the name piggyback) coming from the sensors in the engine bay and modify them to improve the tune. Standalone tuning methods entirely replace the stock ECU.

So to make your decisions easy on you, get a Split Second AFC (SS AFC) and an AEM UEGO or an Innovate LC-1 wideband and have someone who knows what they're doing wire them up for you. None of that cheap crimping garbage either, get them both soldered in properly.

And to make searching easier, just use Google instead of the forum search bar. Type in site:mazdas247.com into Google followed by your search term and Google will search just the forum instead of the whole web. You can use that on ANY website, it's a much better way of searching.. there's a reason Google is the king of the internet.

I'll offer up some unsolicited advice. These are great cars and fun to drive, but as far as aftermarket mods you have kind of missed the boat. If you were a mechanic or someone with a lot of experience modding cars I'd say go for it, but as a newcomer this probably isn't the best project car. The aftermarket market has pretty much dried up except for a few dedicated suppliers and even at it's prime this car didn't have the kind of support you would see for a civic SI or similar so pickings will be slim. Add to that this was a very low volume car that is now 10 years old and you can begin to understand why you should probably just stick to a few bolt on mods and enjoy the hell out of the car.

Even this forum is starting to dry up...the first page of many of the sections have threads on them that go back 2 months. There was a time when you couldn't fit all of the current days posts on page 1.

I'll offer up some unsolicited advice. These are great cars and fun to drive, but as far as aftermarket mods you have kind of missed the boat. If you were a mechanic or someone with a lot of experience modding cars I'd say go for it, but as a newcomer this probably isn't the best project car. The aftermarket market has pretty much dried up except for a few dedicated suppliers and even at it's prime this car didn't have the kind of support you would see for a civic SI or similar so pickings will be slim. Add to that this was a very low volume car that is now 10 years old and you can begin to understand why you should probably just stick to a few bolt on mods and enjoy the hell out of the car.

Even this forum is starting to dry up...the first page of many of the sections have threads on them that go back 2 months. There was a time when you couldn't fit all of the current days posts on page 1.

I totally agree with this post. i thought it would be more of a following myself before I bought my msp.
But ah well. I'm going to finish my "build", enjoy it and start saving for an Evo X :)

But until then, I'd say, exhaust and fmic, lowering + wheels. Thats my game plan.
Soon as i put on exhaust, it felt wonderful. I justttt finished my fmic install today and thats a big difference too.
No more heatsoak :) But ya, basic mods and enjoy it. This definitely isn't the car to build unless you're truly dedicated.

Back