starting build need ideas (400 hp possible?)

What's your idea for the tranny issues? I hear those PAR units arent all that great. Plus, I hear that the gearset oil has to be replaced. I know magnusmotorsports.com avdertises units for our application. I contacted them in regards to the maximum torque, and horsepower capabilities. They have yet to contact me.

the max hp - from PAR, i believe is over 1000hp. you are correct about them - they pit out because of chemical issues with the gear oil, even if you changed it every 3k miles. my solution? i dont have one, because there isnt one. rebuild your OEM tranny, assemble and shim that b**** to the tightest specs, and hope for the best.

but, without getting into any details or getting anyones hopes up, i started talking to one or two places who might be able to make straight cut gears for us. i should have more details in the coming days.

thats not quite true. as i mentioned, trannys get shredded because the contact patch between gears gets reduced due to the gears and shafts separating. you dont shear the teeth off from too much power, its because your contact area keeps reducing as torque increases.

Isn't that what I said? Horsepower wont kill it, its the torque causing the input shaft and countershaft to flex, making the contact area of the gear teeth smaller, shearing teeth off at some point.

haha, not to pick beef or anything, i dont see where you said that....
anyways, the point i was making is its not related to the gear strength... the gears are strong enough - more torque wont just shear the teeth off, its a gradual process where theres no solution yet.

u could us a sprint 500 and still hit 400whp. but either way u will still need a full standalone.

Well it would be better for 400+ to go with the 1000, 500 is just better then the unichip, but its a huge gap between the 1000 and the unichip. But if I was going with 400+ I would go with the 1000 atleast.

Well it would be better for 400+ to go with the 1000, 500 is just better then the unichip, but its a huge gap between the 1000 and the unichip. But if I was going with 400+ I would go with the 1000 atleast.

do u have reasoning behind this comment? i understand that the 1000 has more features, but i think the sprint 500 should still be a good standalone for making 400+hp. im still undecided on which one ill be getting.

what does everyone recomment for the par gears hp/tq wise whats the max you would suggest?

400whp isnt easy to achieve...not to sound ignorant, but there's tons of people who come on here trying to make big power, and they get dissapointed
the FS engine insnt that great at making power, and i have no idea what you would do with 400whp,
i was at ~250whp and it was close to scaring the piss out of me doing full throttle

im upgrading to a t3/t4 and going for 300whp MAX, the protege isnt a drag car, and once you get above 300whp, your just going to spin tire unless your running slicks
but if you run slicks, more stress on the trans and then the trans destroys itself, so stick to reasonable numbers
...if you want a dyno queen go buy a evo or supra because the protege def isnt it

maybe you guys should just pitch some money together and have an adaptor plate built to mate the FSDE to a stronger trans. then you spend hundreds on your transmission setup instead of thousands.

pretty sure you could hire an engineer to do the work for a couple hundred bucks and make a cnc file or whatever file you would need to have them cut at a local metal works shop.

just get some forum members to pitch in on the r and d after you get some quotes.

therieldeal made a bunch for the 1.8l BP to mount to the E153 toyota trans. he worked in a machine shop and was able to build the plates himself.

im sure if a bunch of you put your heads together you could figure out which trans could be adapted to the FS that wont require major modification.

stig4.JPG

total cost for me was ~$350 with shipping from the states for the adaptor (paid extra for power coat etc) some got em for around ~250 with no paint or coating.

you can see more pics of mine for the 1.8l bp in my gtr msp thread for an example. Picked up my Toyota e153 for very little money and it can take more power than I will ever throw at it.

seems like a much better idea than giving thousands of dollars away for a transmission that will just keep breaking and breaking. I got so sick of the reliability of the FS and its trans that I went with the BP instead so I feel your pain so to speak lol

all these talented FS builders, vendors and enthusiasts on this site should be able to rig something up that would work well I would think

Last edited:
seriously? what the **** are you talking about kyle? find me one person who had luck with PAR. i can name three PAR transmission failures, and those trannys are worth as much as the rest of the car

That hondaeatr guy or what ever from new york had trouble out of his tranny and it was NOT pushing high HP but then Creative performance or what ever in PR are doing work in their 323 with PAR gears......

yeah, he had two failures, and shane02p5 or whoever had one, and he was changing the gear oil more often than every 3k miles!!! his didnt even last 12k!!!
i know the guys in PR have had success, but isnt that a dedicated track car? i mean, PAR might have its place on the strip, but if you plan to put ANY kind of mileage on your protege, dont buy them, plain and simple.

Hondaeatr had an old set he bought off someone on the forum which was an even earlier revision of the materials and processes than mine were. My 3rd gearset was slightly pitted which as told by Gerard at PAR had been addressed with the new alloy and hardening processes which apparently was only my 3rd gear that may have been sitting on the shelf as an old revision. My 3rd gearset was not covered by warranty but was replaced for nearly half the cost. All of my other gears during the rebuild were in perfect shape and all are smooth as butter now. The synchromesh gears are rated for 500hp...I think a dogbox which has a wider tooth profile due to no synchros is 1000hp but good luck with a dogbox for a dd :)

yeah, he had two failures, and shane02p5 or whoever had one, and he was changing the gear oil more often than every 3k miles!!! his didnt even last 12k!!!
i know the guys in PR have had success, but isnt that a dedicated track car? i mean, PAR might have its place on the strip, but if you plan to put ANY kind of mileage on your protege, dont buy them, plain and simple.

Hondaeater or whater his SN is DOES NOT COUNT for Gear Failure, if you just understand that those gears were NOT ment for boost! They were custom gears far a NA Protege that topped out at 125mph. The PAR gears are GREAT gears.

And to add the people with the issues with those gears you should be able to see before the install honestly. And I remember one guy had issue cause he NEVER changed his gear oil. I WILL be running 1-4 atleast PAR (maybe 1-5th IDK yet) And I was in Naoto's car like 2 weeks ago and they sound awesome :p

Last edited:
i just dont understand why they make you change the oil every 3k, is this a normal thing with straight cut gears?
I've never heard of any other manufacturer do that, but I've never really looked

so pretty much, the old par gearsets are s***, and start to pit and fail even if you maintain them,
but the new material should be good for daily use?

Back