Starter Problem

Levesque

:
Mazda Protege5
hey guys !

Well im having this situation. I started my car one morning no problem at all. I get to the gas station turn it off to put fuel. It doesnt start any more just clicking noise. Wont boost. Push start it, it starts up and i drive it home. At this point I was pretty sure it was the starter. I get a new starter at the scrap yard today I install the connectors and the front 2 bolts... I then try and start the car it starts !!! I put the last bolt in and the manifold support, try to start the car and nothing just clicking again ?

Did I kill another starter? What can It be ? the fuses seem all good.

Any advice would be great.

Do i need to just install another starter?

nope does not turn , doesnt turn when i boost it or use booster pack.

Terminals seem clean yes. It started then never started again.

Ground cable on the Starter... Yes it is on very tight

nope does not turn , doesnt turn when i boost it or use booster pack.

Terminals seem clean yes. It started then never started again.

Ground cable on the Starter... Yes it is on very tight

sounds like your battery terminals aren't tight.

or you get starters with bad solenoids.

Thinking the starter is bad again :S

If I plug my booster pack on the ground and the metal clip where the connector goes it should work correct? ( To test them )

Thinking the starter is bad again :S

If I plug my booster pack on the ground and the metal clip where the connector goes it should work correct? ( To test them )

yes. should. introducing a power into it shuould get it to start.

i really think something is loose. check the terminal connections.

does it do anything when you put the key in and turn it? if you have your lights on, do they go dim?

okay so starter is good ( got it tested ) cleaned battery terminal and all starter terminals r clean. Im thinking its the battery since we cant boost it. Im having a feeling that its not taking charge any more? Is that possible? Can that happen from day to day ? Just die right there and not have enought cranking power anymore

okay so starter is good ( got it tested ) cleaned battery terminal and all starter terminals r clean. Im thinking its the battery since we cant boost it. Im having a feeling that its not taking charge any more? Is that possible? Can that happen from day to day ? Just die right there and not have enought cranking power anymore

yes. very possible. but generally speaking. that comes from a weak alternator.

Isnt there suppose to be a bunch of lights on if alt is weak ? ( like my talon the brake , water pump and another light comes oup when alt is deiing )

I boosted it and drove around fine so the alt is producing current/voltage no ?

Isnt there suppose to be a bunch of lights on if alt is weak ? ( like my talon the brake , water pump and another light comes oup when alt is deiing )

its possible. sometimes lights work, sometimes they dont.

a bad connection/not tight connection on the battery could cause it to continue arcing and therefore draining the battery.

Check your battery voltage with a digital multimeter across the two terminals. You should be reading at least 12.5 volts.

thx for all the help guys , have all that time all it was , was corroded ( maybe?) and loose wire on my battery terminals. Winter tires on and she works great.

Last night the car was fine. This morning the same happened to me. I didn't play with the battery terminals since all the electrical is good (bright headlights, radio, fan, everything is works fine). I only had time to check the ignition fuse before rushing to work. When I try to start I just hear a couple of clicks coming from glove box area and thats it, no crack. Where do I start?

Update: deeper searched revealed great "starter problem" thread that sounded like mine. I'll pursue that first.
hey guys !

Well im having this situation. I started my car one morning no problem at all. I get to the gas station turn it off to put fuel. It doesnt start any more just clicking noise. Wont boost. Push start it, it starts up and i drive it home. At this point I was pretty sure it was the starter. I get a new starter at the scrap yard today I install the connectors and the front 2 bolts... I then try and start the car it starts !!! I put the last bolt in and the manifold support, try to start the car and nothing just clicking again ?

Did I kill another starter? What can It be ? the fuses seem all good.

Any advice would be great.

Do i need to just install another starter?

Last edited:
Back