Standard cabin filters allow too much smells and pollution in

Buzzx6r

:
BMW E92 M3 & CX-5 AWD Sport Nav 175PS stormy blue with stone
Has anyone else noticed how poor the cabin filters are at filtering out traffic pollution or strong smells such as fire smoke? I gather the CX-5 does not come with active carbon filters such as used by BMW. I wonder if these are available from Mazda or aftermarket? As the stock filters are poor IMO.

From what I've seen, there's not much choice in the way of cabin air filters for Mazdas right now. That may change.

Mazda stopped producing Aldehyde filters for a few years. Quite unfortunate.

Any chance the RX-8/MPV Aldehyde filter would fit the CX-5 (or cut to fit)? I can't find the dimensions of that filter online but I know they are sold still.
It appears the new Mazda6's filter is the same as the CX-5 (per third-party compatability.)

Last edited:
I don't think you can stop the pollution coming in, even with the best and most expensive filter, and you'd have to be replacing it very frequent. I tried charcoal stuffed carbon filter on my Elantra 2007, and it still didn't filter everything brand new.

Best to just switch to circulation mode. I wish the button was on the handle so I can quickly switch whenever I see a truck or junk car in front of me. I still do this but I have to look where the button is.

I never use re-circulation mode, by the time the smell gets in, its in. Then you are just breathing in stale air plus whatever stuff entered the car. Just for info sake the RAM 1500 trucks have a spot for a filter but there is none, lol. A cheap out by Dodge as well.

I really don't expect any cabin auto filters to clean this up significantly when driving behind stinky vehicles/gross polluters.

In many Lexus IS cars when these conditions are detected it goes automatically to recirculation mode if set to Auto, this is a helpful feature.

The point is, the filter is rubbish compared to my BMW. I do not have to switch to recirculate mode to avoid smells in the M3. I do not want to breathe in stale air and have the interior windows mist up. Yet another sub standard item from Mazda.

The point is, the filter is rubbish compared to my BMW. I do not have to switch to recirculate mode to avoid smells in the M3. I do not want to breathe in stale air and have the interior windows mist up. Yet another sub standard item from Mazda.

Just out of curiosity, how much do they sell the M3 for over the pond in the UK. I know that, kitted out, they push $100k over here in Canada.

makes me wonder what people driving convertibles do to survive all this bad air

Last edited:
makes me wonder what people driving convertibles do to survive all this bad air

And that's one major reason convertible sales are declining.

Owners of convertible usually drive with top up and AC on.

The cabin air filter doesn't remove lead either. Fortunately, the EPA already removed the lead from gasoline or you would be breathing that too.

Ironically, car engines last longer than ever, even with much longer service intervals, never mind that the anti-environmentalists warned that, without lead, engines would self-destruct in short order.

Back