Stalling: HUGE Safety Concern

No.5

Okay gang, please don't flame me for opening a new Thread, but I thought the potential safety issues warrented it.

I initially posted that my MSP was stalling. My dealership said MCI (Mazda Canada) is apparently working on a onboard computer software update. When it's complete, the car's computer is going to get re-flashed to hopefully rectify the stalling. I'm running BONE stock, BTW.

That was a month ago...still no update from my dealership as for an ETA. :wtf:

Here's the issue. Initally it was stalling when ideling, say at a redlight. Now, my car has been stalling at "half-decent speeds" - 60 - 70 km's/hr. So tell me this, what happens when say, I'm going around a corner and my car stalls, and I lose the power steering and ABS. Do I (A) collide head on with the oncoming traffic? or (B) Slam on my breaks and get rear-ended?

Who else has had stalling occuring at driving speeds?

If this problem is not fixed, MCI is going to have 1 more Orange MSP to sell.

Last edited:
There are a lot whom have stalled (it's the ecu issue, you're correct)

Check out the poll for the stubling by ping (this is related)

My car has NEVER stalled during driving, but there were times when the idle drops dramatically at idle/ traffic light and i'm very close to a stall situation.

This usually occurs when i have the stereo up loud, perhaps it's drawing a lot of current that leads to this situation. Poor alternator? You tell me...

Limited Edition said:
My car has NEVER stalled during driving, but there were times when the idle drops dramatically at idle/ traffic light and i'm very close to a stall situation.

This usually occurs when i have the stereo up loud, perhaps it's drawing a lot of current that leads to this situation. Poor alternator? You tell me...

yeah thats happened to me too, but with the stereo down too. its also happened in my moms ES. i think its just a general Protege issue :(

lol....damn hills!

I have the idling issue as well, with or without the stereo bumping. I havent stalled yet, but it always seems close. I replaced the airbox with a cone filter almost right after I got it, so maybe that helped it out a bit.

-Six

Grimace said:
Me too. Well, once. But it was my fault. It was one steeeeeeep hill.

One suggestion for MSP owners, and it might be true for P5's too, is that the cooling fan/intercooler fan blows hot air right at the intake. My MSP use to stumble at redlights and when just sitting in the garage. The fan kicks on and blows nothing but hot air for the intake to suck up...Later,

03SpeedLSD said:
One suggestion for MSP owners, and it might be true for P5's too, is that the cooling fan/intercooler fan blows hot air right at the intake. My MSP use to stumble at redlights and when just sitting in the garage. The fan kicks on and blows nothing but hot air for the intake to suck up...Later,

What relevance would that have? Last time I checked hot air doesn't cause an engine to stall. Sounds bad. Get the stealership to fix it ASAP. Oh yea, although I don't own a MSP, I would like to try to help you get this fixed No. 5, that's not cool, just stalling around a corner :/

Maybe get a 2nd opinion, get it checked out by Jackson Autosport see what they have to say.

btw what is MCI?

Last edited:
Hey! I read this post today and I just had the same problem happen today! I was taking a turn into my place and i turned hard, and my car just completely stalled out on me in mid turn! Everything died and i lost my power steering! I would have crashed into the curb if i didnt slam on the brakes! What would happen if i did this on the highway with cars behind me. You are rign No.5, this is a serious saftey issue! Someonecould get really hurt. This needs to be addressed pronto...I mean clunk is annoying, and stalling at idle is bad, but when you take a hard turn at 50mph and your car dies in mid-turn ...thats a serious safety issue.

I just taked to someone who owned an MX6, he said that his car was stalling on the turns as well, and he said that it was a problem with the fuel tank, in a hard turn , the fuel would slosh and the injectors would get starved and cause the engine to stall. He said they put something inside the tank to prevent this, and it worked like a charm. Just though id throw this out there, either way, im talkin to the dealer this weekend about this.

My car too,also had the stall issue!It would stall on me when I put it into nuetral to come to a stop!It did it quite a few times on the first motor in the first 2K mi. but has not done it since?It was still winter then so it was COLD!So I don't know if that was relevent to the fan blowing hot air issue???But that doesn't seem to be the issue I had with mine.I took it to the dealer for this prob and go figure,THEY COULDN"T DUPLICATE IT so they flat out said there was no problem!:bs: There is a prob with this and the stumble issue that mazda MUST address!If they don't come up with sme sort of ansewr ,I might be less a MAZDASPEED!
Matt:cool:

Happened to me 3-4 times already ever since I installed the K&N filter. Funny really. It stalled with this female in the car once and I explained to her that it's a problem with this car. Then she thinking, "Yeah yeah! Really, it's ok for a guy to stall going green! Don't have to make something up for it!"....I'm like.."No really! It's really a problem with this car..... blah...whatever!"

im goin to the dealer tomorrow, ill give you guys an update on what they tell me.....i mean, this is serious, someone could really get hurt, it makes me not want to even take turns fast anymore, cuz im worried it'll stall out on me, and f**kin crash into something or someone will crash into me, and takin the turns is why i biught the car in the first place!

wtf that sounds fishy a fuel tank issue? and if it's happened on MX6s WTF mazda?

The fuel tank maybe a cause, but I take alot of hard turns in my spec at really fast speeds, and my injectors don't get starved, neither do most cars.

Hmmm...Good luck you guys, I'll be rooting for ya!

Im glad to say I dont have any stall issues, however I hate that stumbling hesitation! The stall issue may be some sort of VAC leak. Set up a poll so that we can find out how many Speeds are suffering from this problem. Take it to Mazda! Start sending them e-mails with complaints and cross your fingers. Who knows It may be an easy fix.
(bow) (mspb) (sad2)

Last edited:
eddy said:
im goin to the dealer tomorrow, ill give you guys an update on what they tell me.....i mean, this is serious, someone could really get hurt, it makes me not want to even take turns fast anymore, cuz im worried it'll stall out on me, and f**kin crash into something or someone will crash into me, and takin the turns is why i biught the car in the first place!

Eddy, please give me the update as soon as you can.

If this is happening to enough people, then I'll pursue the angle of contacting management at Mazda, and cut my dealership out of the picture. This is serious. Yes the clunk is friggen annoying (and is Temporarily fixed with the new D bushings (Part#BN7H28156D)), but this issue is in a completely different league. And yes, a worst case scenario could happen.

And, BTW, this is not an issue with driver ability - it's the car.

Back