Stale smell from A/C

911jason

:
2014 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Only 4,000 miles on the car, and I'm getting a really stale smell from the AC now. Other than an air freshener, any thoughts on what's causing that?

I always let me blower run for a minute or two with the AC off before I park the car. Gets the humidity out. When I (usually my wife!), skip this in any car, I start getting the smell. I do have a very sensitive nose :)

I always let me blower run for a minute or two with the AC off before I park the car. Gets the humidity out. When I (usually my wife!), skip this in any car, I start getting the smell. I do have a very sensitive nose :)

Oh okay, will try that. Thanks!

this is a good idea, I'll have to try that, thanks!
our '12 CX-9 had/has the stale smell also. I changed the cabin filter right after we bought it (used) and it seemed to help a little.

I changed out the cabin air filter for one of those that has the carbon in it. It was pretty cheap on Amazon I think. It did seem to help quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it 100% yet.

My 2014 Ford Escape company car smelled like rotten eggs really bad the first time I turned on the a/c. It has been icing up ever since. Only works for an hour or so before it requires a defrost... I think it might be low on freon from the factory. You might have the same problem.

Meguiars have a odor refresher that is like a smoke bomb that works good

Last edited:
Only 4,000 miles on the car, and I'm getting a really stale smell from the AC now. Other than an air freshener, any thoughts on what's causing that?

Same issue I had, brand new CX-9 and real bad smell from the A/C.

very musty smell everytime on a hot day until the cool A/C air diffuses the smell.

Took it to the dealer and they unclogged the AC condensation drain for free,

Easy way to check if the drain is clogged is this:
On a hot humid day, run your A/C for at least 10 minutes, then look under your car,
you should see at least TWO dripping water spots if not one of the drain is clogged.

From day one, I saw only one dripping water spot assuming that was normal, the dealer put my car on the lift and blew compress air into the A/C condensation drain, a gallon of water came splashing down. Turns out the car was in the dealer's lot under some trees during fall season and the leaves somehow got into the drainage system and clogged it up good. It was so clogged up that the condensation water started spilling into the passenger side footwell and soaked the whole passenger side carpet. The water was so high inside the blower unit, the water started hitting the fan blower blades and making a swooshing sound.

here's a video of where the AC drain is in the CX-9
A fellow forum member was good enough to take a video of the CX-9 AC drain plug location:
http://youtu.be/WPl8xXLctOI

you can either use compress air or a vacuum hose to unclog it.
After unclogging the drain, the musty smell went away.

Last edited:
If indeed the A/C condensation drain was clogged (which is usually the case), mold must have started growing in the A/C evaporator core from all that moisture. It would be a good idea to clean out the evaporator core to get rid of all that mold. The mold is what is actually causing the odor. I used the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to clean it out. Directions for use can be found here.

The AC-Safe Air Conditioner Coil Foaming Cleaner can also be used and costs much less. However, that long hose that comes with the Kool-it is handy to have to reach the AC evaporator.

Last edited:
Back