stainless steel welding.

centsless

Hello,

heres the deal, i just installed a mazdaspeed axleback on my P5, the tip sticks out a little too much and i would like to shorten that. Now i don't want to cut the pipe and just put an exhuast tip, because the mazdaspeed oval tip looks really nice, and also the engraved mazdaspeed logo.

So, here is my question. I have a welding machine at home, never used it, but since this thing is stainless steel,i don't know how to approach it. I want to know if anyone out there had welded stainless steel, i can do all the cutting and fabriacating, that is not a problem, its the welding part that concerns me.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

I had my after market MS exhaust from my sedan chopped about 5 inches where it came out of the exhaust and rewelded so it would look nice on my P5. held up great......

You could probably tweak the hangers to move it inwards a tad. Probably get a 1/2" out of it. And according to my last girlfriend, a 1/2" is a lot...

"welding machine" what kind? TIG, MIG, Oxy/Acet? Arc? SS should be TIG welded, however you can MIG it with the right wire. If you don't care how it looks, then you can use regular mild steel wire. Bit for reliability and asthetics, it should be TIGed.

Britt

you can also go to a Midas and they'll do it for less than $20 if you call around and pay cash... that's how I got mine done (I need the exact same thing)...

you can Mig SS just fine.. it just wont be quite as pretty as Tig.. but a good proffesional welder can make it look pretty good.

but of course Tig would be prettier. also, I HIGHLY recomend you make sure thye use stainless wire, because even though you can weld stainless with mild wire, it will rust.

mig is just as strong as tig, it just doesn't look as good (harder to get to look as good atleast), but the big thing to remember is to back-gassing (run your shielding gas through the back of the weld to prevent contamination)

What are you cutting with? I've got a Marquette Plasma at work that works great for stainless...

i might end up just doing it at a muffler shop, i didn't know welding can go to that depth, plus i haven't welded much so i don't think it will look good.
I was planning on cutting it with my cutoff saw, not sure if thats the route i wanted to go, but thanks for all the input, it was very informative.
-Denham

an angle grinder should be ok (w/ cutting wheel) less you can get a plasma torch (drool, i wish i had one).

we have a nice one at work... it can cut 2" plate with relative ease... but I'd suggest a band saw or a recipricating saw for the cleanliness factor. it wont take long to cut through

s***...6 months ago I worked at a place that laser welded SS tubing all the freaking time. It was pretty cool...hated my boss though. Probabaly could have done for you for free. SS is a b**** to weld, especially if you want to keep it looking good and keep the corrosion resistance in and near the weld area. Like they said though, tig is really the way to go...and honestly...if you're not that proficient with welding, i would highly suggest getting a professional to do it for you. At least you know it is done right, ya know?

Back