SRT-4 Test Drive

Notorious

:
Honda S2000, Mazdaspeed
We had a meet in Tustin CA today at the local mazda dealership and after lunch Dr. Sound and I decided to test drive the 2004 srt-4. We went to dodge dealership over there, came up with a nice a rosy story that will get a test drive, and the proceeded to "evaluate" the car.

First impressions: As pretty much everyone already knows, it has a real intercooler. Much better than our stock pos on both the mazdaspeed protege and miata. Looking around the car, the fit and finish is not nearly as nice as the protege. The paint wasn't bad, but just didn't have the same quality look, at least on the silver car we were looking at. The interior did seem a little low rent, but the seats are awesome. Complete support from the legs all the way to the shoulders. Mazda really should take some notes here.

The drive: The car is not quite. With no muffler you could really here the exhaust on the car, and to be honest it sounds pretty good. It was kind of funny we could get the thing to backfire on demand. Nice feature. Driving the car, stock for stock it is noticably more powerful than the mazdaspeed protege, as well as it should be with the larger turbo, displacement and 13 pounds of boost. The car is probably slower than mine and dr sound's car just because we aren't stock, but it had a nice pull to it. The handling on the vehicle is a little bit scary though in comparison. It has a lot more sway than the msp and it was a lot easier to break the tires loose in turns. We got the tires and suspension howling in protest in some very mild turns. I knew the suspension wasn't as good, but to be honest I was pretty disappointed with it.

Long story short I'm not regretting the msp purchase over the dodge one bit. Srt-4 has a great motor but the rest of the car seems to be playing catch up with it. Much like how we have a great suspension but the motor needs a little cathing on the speeds. Also I just can't get by the looks, or the crank windows in the back. It was a fun little experience, probably something victor and I need to do again... maybe with the viper next time. (rockon)

^ LOL

just as peter said, all the money went into the power plant.
i guess dodge did a "good" job given that most of the power plant is built by mitsubishi.
the only good things dodge did to the car are seats and exhaust.

everything else is cheap.......just look at the rubber headlight molding......HORRIBLE.
the foglights have uneven gaps, plastic is low grade and you can see the molding lines.
took a turn @ maybe 20mph....the wheels screeched and the front hopped.

i wish dodge gave 24-hour test drives.......cause then i'd bring it back with front protege seats and tell them that that's how i got it.
those seats rock!

I drove my friends 2004 with the LSD, Mopar BOV, short shift kit & stage I coilovers and enjoyed the hell out of it. Globs of power and the handling was pretty dam good with the coilovers. The interior is a step down from the Speed, but I think it handeled just as good with his upgrades. Each car has there strong points and after driving it I cant bash a car that overall impressed me.

I think some people get into the speed and turn it left and right a few times, and that's what they determine how a car handles. It's when you REALLY push the car in the corner that it becomes obvious of what it's capable of. I remember the first corner I threw my mp3 into really hard. I came into it and said....ok, lets go. About half way into the corner I start thinking....hmmmm, this is probably too fast for this little car, and I'm going to die. Then she just turns like it was any other normal corner, no squeal'in, no skip, no slide...amazing. So then I bought it :)
It still amazes me for a "Stock" car right up to now.

Newf said:
I think some people get into the speed and turn it left and right a few times, and that's what they determine how a car handles. It's when you REALLY push the car in the corner that it becomes obvious of what it's capable of. I remember the first corner I threw my mp3 into really hard. I came into it and said....ok, lets go. About half way into the corner I start thinking....hmmmm, this is probably too fast for this little car, and I'm going to die. Then she just turns like it was any other normal corner, no squeal'in, no skip, no slide...amazing. So then I bought it :)
It still amazes me for a "Stock" car right up to now.
I agree!(crazy)

Thank GOD! I have been saying the same things over and over and every SRT lover comes out of the wood work saying this and that. I agree completely with everything said. Point is, the car was half done. Great motor, poor fit and finish, paint, interior (ex seats). You pay 20k for a fast, powerful motor, not a full sweet package. Not saying that's really bad, it just is....

To Each is own I say. To me the Interior of a car can easily be change to whatever preference someone wants. Hense the word modifying. The same with the exterior of a car. Main focus, Power, Handling, transmission etc...etc. The comestic iish can come last.

Notorious said:
Srt-4 has a great motor but the rest of the car seems to be playing catch up with it.
That's exactly what I say after EVERY drive in a domestic. Especially Mustangs, Camaro/TA's.

I think it's a bit more sluggish than ours but still handles well. it pulls the same .88g that our car does. the kdw's are a great streat tired but our stock potenza are much better corner tires. and the quaif (sp) lsd is far better than the msp's pos. i too drove it throught the twisties and didn't feel like it was any less of a competitor. a decent set of coilovers and we are left behind. and i am not an srt lover, but i do like those seats and the bullet proofness. it's on my list of options.

Back