SRI - Cobb or K&N?

Biggs

:
Mazdaspeed3 '09 True Red
I know most of you have Cobb sri's but i noticed K&N sells one as well... They also claim to net 24hp to Cobb's 11.

It's pricier but if the hp gains are true then I might go ahead with it... does anyone know if this is a load of bs or what?

I think all SRI's available to our cars will yield similar results, prob around 10-20whp.

K&N is probably stating power at crank?

K&N is definitely a cool looking unit, but I've seen it up close and there's no way they could add an extra 11 hp to the wheels over top the Cobb SRI. Except for the shield (which I think is useless) the designs are very similar, as with any SRI (not much to do differently). For the money I say go with Cobb, unless you don't like the blue look.

And then there's the PG SRI. Less money, essentially the same thing, has air straighteners, works great, and costs significantly less.

If you search on here I did see a thread with someone that switched from the cobb to the K&N with dyno sheets from both. If i remember correctly the cobb has a lot of its power down low and the K&N spread it out through the curve to more high end.

Buy ours. Includes the turbo inlet pipe, looks great, comes in different colors and has excellent quality and manufacturing that we put into it. Billet black anodized MAF housing w/ air diffuser, 4 layer reinforced silicone, T-Bolt Band Clamps from the Turbo to the Filter and our own CorkSport conical air filter w/ dry-flow filter media from K&N/AEM.

2010MS3_Intake.jpg

MAF_Housing_Web.jpg

DSC_1490.jpg

And the whole 9 yards is $239. If you have any questions about the intake, power gains or design considerations, just ask and we'll gladly discuss.

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer
CorkSport Mazda Performance
Vancouver, WA

hmm interesting jason, what about ur coldair box that u offer?.. does that actually help?

Buy ours. Includes the turbo inlet pipe, looks great, comes in different colors and has excellent quality and manufacturing that we put into it. Billet black anodized MAF housing w/ air diffuser, 4 layer reinforced silicone, T-Bolt Band Clamps from the Turbo to the Filter and our own CorkSport conical air filter w/ dry-flow filter media from K&N/AEM.

2010MS3_Intake.jpg

MAF_Housing_Web.jpg

DSC_1490.jpg

And the whole 9 yards is $239. If you have any questions about the intake, power gains or design considerations, just ask and we'll gladly discuss.

Jason Griffith
Vancouver, WA

Damn that's an awesome looking SRI!

Does the Corksport SRI just hang in the engine bay or is secured by a bracket (i.e. Cobb and CP-E)?

Does the Corksport SRI just hang in the engine bay or is secured by a bracket (i.e. Cobb and CP-E)?

Clamping of the MAF housing doesn't matter - it's not going anywhere and the CS setup is all T-bolt clamps to boot. Way overkill as far as clamping needs but it's definitely top notch. I almost bought the CS myself but at the time they didn't have straighteners in their MAF and I had some concerns about that. Now they do, and the housing is CNC billet VS plastic. It's really nice.

The CS setup is definitely better than the Cobb dollar for dollar IMO. For about the same money as just the Cobb SRI, CS not only gives you an SRI they include a TIP, top notch stainless clamps, a better air filter, a billet CNC MAF housing etc. It's a sweet setup.

+1, I have the COBB only for the simple fact that I bought it over a year ago after release. I would consider changing to this set up.

Jason Griffith
Vancouver, WA

Jason,
Is the photo of the actual MAF housing? Is it OEM ID? I have the original CS SRI and the MAF housing in not like the photo.

That is a photo of our newly redesigned MAF housing. We switched over to it with the 2010 model and then retroactively switched all the older intakes to this system as well. It is billet aluminum and it also features a pair of stainless steel standoffs which prevent cross threading of the MAF sensor screws.

Our intake uses a bracket on the turbo inlet pipe that attaches to the same stud on the valvecover bracket as did the original turbo inlet pipe. Beyond that our MAF/Silicone/Filter just hang, and it does just fine with the T Bolt clamps. As was previously mentioned, it may be overkill, but it adds some extra insurance to the connections and provides a nice finished look vs. a hose clamp. We even provide a T-bolt for the filter.

Our MAF housings do utilize a stock ID. No reason to go oversized - if you retune, you can pull the removable splitter and get plenty more flow that way.

Jason

I have both and prefer KNN as Cobb SRI power pretty much useless at such a lower rpm since you just lose traction and power dies really fast. Btw besides focusing on peak numbers you guys should also focus on increase at certain rpms.

Same dyno and same operator in 4th gear since stock but not the same day of course. This dyno was also used on my s2000 where numbers are inline with others s2000's(192-197 whp) so think these numbers aren't overinflated at all.

K&N SRI: 255 whp and 272 wtq

4038132670_16eec9bfb7.jpg

Cobb SRI: 250 whp and 285 wtq
Stock: 225 whp and 257 wtq

2890326879_aba7b06729.jpg

K&N peak torque of 272 was higher in powerband(4400rpm) than Cobb where peak torque of 285 was at 3200rpm. I prefer K&N powerband better and now more fun to drive :)

Last edited:
What is the ID with the splitter removed?

There's only so much of our design data that I am willing to share on the forums. I did say it was stock ID though. The splitter is not a large sleeve that reduces the ID of the intake.

Jason

Back