SR20DET vs FSDET

txrxs

:
MSP->240sx->626GT->240sx->240sx
I got to ride in a 240 swapped with a stock SR20DET tonight and i must say damn that car hauls balls. I mean if my car were in prime condition that car would have walked me by a mile. So i guess my question is why does that engine seem so much powerful than mine when "essentially" they are both 2.0's with T25's. I dont want this to turn into FWD < RWD thread, i just want to know what makes engines that have similar stats seem so different.

The stats on the car are such:
SR20DET 8.5:1
Stock intercooler
Stock ECU
3.5in exhaust
SRI
T25 at 7psi

i figured no one would view this thread here, but bump anyway:)

The SR20 DET is an amazing engine. First, it's a VERY boost happy engine, and can hold a lot more power, stock for stock vs. the FS. Second, the n/a SR will walk an n/a FS any day of the week as well, mostly because the motor is more rev happy.
And finally, you can drive an SR20 engine to 270K and still not worry about failure. To this day, it is one of the most reliable and stable engines built by nissan.

Nissan defintely did their hw when they came out with the RB and SR engines back in the day...

Having owned a '93 SE-R for 9 years I can vouch for the simple awesomeness of the motor. Not having a rev happy motor with a 7500 rpm redline anymore makes me a bit sad. And I was in school most of that time so I never had any money to mod it (aside from better tires and a K&N air filter). I think with all my I/H/E mods my FS-DE still doesn't feel as powerful as the SR20DE stock. The FS definitely has a little more low end torque getting off the line but the SR absolutely lived to be pushed past 4000 rpm.

In a perfect world I would have kept that car-- one thing though, the Protege owns it in handling.

But I think with a supercharger the FS will make me horny. (hump)

Last edited:
i had a sentra with an sr20. amazing motor. the rods and crank are more than was needed for the stock levels that motor saw. the whole engine was just overbuilt. can't say anything for the validity of this but someone once told me the stock rods could hold 500hp without a hitch.

CasopoliS said:
Just happened to see this thread and this car on the same day...
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

^^^
that's a nice ride!

my friend swapped an SR20DET into his 94 240sx... he left it stock and it still hauled ass. nissan engines are built to last. my family had an 88 sentra and that thing lasted over 250,000km without any engine problems.

dam never acually new nissans could live that long. i think everyone underestimates nissan. i too was lookin into a 240sx and swapping out the motor, but it i didnt like the fact that the back seats had no room at all...... i usually drive about 4 people around so i need the extra room in the rear.

Are you sure it was that fast... i had an incounter with a fastback 240 with the SR20 obviously....we ran through 1st gear roll and through second and were dead even. I planned to shut off upon entering 3rd so i let off before he did and was poking my bumper and fender out as i went into 3rd.

So i was impressed at how my car did with my mods and no boost controller. He also had a FMIC and full exhaust,intake, i dunno what else besides body kit. When I talked to him he said he was running 15psi. He said he would turn it down to 7psi and I told him not to, but I really don't know and didn't ask if he turned it down to 7psi or not.

My friend had a 94 i think, 240 with a SR20deT. Unfortunately he decided to free spool his s*** and boy did that s*** pull. His boost gauge was reading 28psi with an open Downpipe.So sad the day it blew, but it was running for at least 1week and a half to 3weeks.
Nice fu*king engine though. Soooo much more potential than our FS.

assistance needed.

ok... i have a question. I currently have a 1995 mazda protege. w/ a stock 1.5L. I was going to buy a new Type-S RSX... after selling my Mazda... but then i hit a deer and while finding replacement parts to fix the damage i stumpled across numerous resources of imformation... and it seem ive become attatched. The car has a lil potential to be a deadly Sleeper. My question is what engine can fit into the 95 besides the 1.8L. I wanted to find out more about the Supercharged Mazda millenia engine or the 03 mazda 3 engine... which i believe is the FSDET that u all speak of...it comes stock 210? and i want to break the 250hp range and dare to attempt and reach 300hp if possible. any suggestions?

The Mazda3 uses the MZR. The FSDET is a Protege motor.

If you use the Protege FSDET, 250 hp shouldn't be a problem, but 300 hp will take some work.

--------

Love-fest here on the SR20, I see... can't argue... I've had two cars with the N/A SR20, and damn did it feel a hell of a lot better than the N/A FSDE, stock to stock. It's only now that my FSDE feels stronger than my old SR20, after I dropped a whole sh*tload of parts into it... and it still doesn't rev as high or as willingly... :(

my boss has a sr20det swap and ive been in a few lightly modded sr20det 240s, one was at a road coarse. great motor. My boss just put a big turbo on and is running 14 psi hitting high 12s on street tires, turbo isnt even working and stock motor has alot more to go with good tuning. Pretty sure he is going to be running 20+psi on the same setup in the spring. him and my other boss run a message board called southern ontario nissan, its pretty popular and they have tracks days and lots of boosted members.

Holy s***, this is a blast from the past. I'm such a noob. NA KA24DE for me now. Vroom.

The SR20 DET is an amazing engine. First, it's a VERY boost happy engine, and can hold a lot more power, stock for stock vs. the FS. Second, the n/a SR will walk an n/a FS any day of the week as well, mostly because the motor is more rev happy.
And finally, you can drive an SR20 engine to 270K and still not worry about failure. To this day, it is one of the most reliable and stable engines built by nissan.

Nissan defintely did their hw when they came out with the RB and SR engines back in the day...

i dont think thats all true my friend has a G20 with the SR20DE he i run on him

i dont think thats all true my friend has a G20 with the SR20DE he i run on him
fail. Turbo vs. Na is not running him, you should win. Although I will say a stock FSDE protege vs a SR20DE G20 should be about even. This thread is dumb and I'm an idiot for ever posting it.

There are some B13 SE-R's with turbos and stock SR20DE bottom ends that burn EVO's and STI's with only like 10psi. The car is light and can rev to 7800. If a G20 and SE-R raced, the SE-R would win by 1/2 car to a car since its like 200 lbs lighter. With bolt ons, the car makes nice power and response nicely.

i have a 91 nx with a sr20 that i have taken to the track and i ran my best time of 15 at 1/4 mile mods are just a header and a sri .I love my p5 but last time iran it the best time i got wase a 16.9 modes at the time were aem, sri, and exhaust.

First (real) car was a 91 SE-R...

Didn't mod... had no money, but the car was the s***.

looking back... I wish I never sold it. don't know what you got till it's gone

Latest posts

Back